GSoC 2014 Student introductions

Hi all

This is Ujjwal Arora, final year Computer Engineering student at Delhi Technological University, New Delhi, India. I have been living in Gurgaon city in India since I was born.

I have been involved in medical and healthcare projects from past 2 years. We focussed on integration of NFC (Near Filed Communication) in the healthcare scenario. We have recently developed a prototype of HealthCard which would contain all medical records of the patients for each visit. The card is read by the PCSC reader attached with the doctor’s or staff’s system. We have used card emulation mode of NFC for this.

Earlier, me and my team have developed a health sensor which connects smartphone and updates medical reading to the server after fixed time intervals.

Recently, we had started using OpenMRS for storing all our medical records on server. That’s how I learned about OpenMRS and became fan of it. The best thing about OpenMRS is the activeness of its community. It shows the passion for open-source in all of us.

I will be moving to Bangalore (India) after few months as a Software Developer at Samsung Research India.

Next 4 months, I’ll be working with @wyclif and @darius (my backup mentor) on the project “Administartion Tool for OpenMRS 2.0”. We are going to add several high priority administrative tasks to the Reference Application. The final aim is to port whole administration app, which would be carried out in parts. We would basically focus on User management app, Location management app, Advanced Settings and Records management app. I plan to build each management tool as a bundle of various Apps and then stitch everything together in one module. We are going to extensively use UI Framework.

Contributing to OpenMRS, is my real first experience in open source development and I expect to learn a lot. Surely, its gonna be memorable experience.

One funny fact about me is that every day, couple of hours of mine go in organising things and keeping everything clean as I am crazy about cleanliness and organisation. It includes everything form my hostel room to my cupboard to my laptop’s file system :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers !! Ujjwal

2 Likes