GCI-2019 : Getting Ready for the Google Code-in 2019

Hello every one,

This year is the 10th anniversary of the Google Code-in (GCI) contest! Students ages 13–17, globally, can learn about open source development by working on real projects, with mentorship from active developers. GCI begins on December 2, 2019 and runs for seven weeks, ending January 23, 2020. [For more]

Timeline:

• Thursday, October 10, 2019 - Open source organizations can apply to be mentoring organizations
  • Monday, October 28, 2019 - Deadline for open source organizations to apply
  • Tuesday, October 29, 2019 - Mentoring organizations announced

OpenMRS participated in Google Code-in as the mentoring organization in last year also. So I hope, this year also we will be there for mentoring. There are a few changes from last year’s contest, and I will write those once we finalized our applications.

Cheers…!

14 Likes

Great news!! will be waiting for the communication @suthagar23

2 Likes

Thanks @suthagar23, would love to mentor again this year.

3 Likes

This is great :grinning: .

2 Likes

Thanks @suthagar23 , i would also love to mentor this year , thanks for the communication. Any details about the project our students will be working on ??

3 Likes

Hi @suthagar23

Great news indeed :star_struck:.Would love to participate tis year in GCI as well :smiley:

Good news @suthagar23 thanks for updates

Good I would like to participate as mentor

@suthagar23, thanks for getting this on our radar! I’m looking forward to hearing about those changes you hinted at… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @suthagar23

There’s some unfinished work relating to the telemedicine GSoC project that might be GCI-eligible. Is there anything potential GCI mentors can do in the meantime to put together project proposals?

cc @codepoet2017390

1 Like

@isears GCI is for only school students, and usually we prepare minor coding tasks for them. (Work time for 1 - 3 days). Please take care of it when you plan also :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What is the minimum criteria to qualify as a mentor?

2 Likes

Active Community member who usually presents on OpenMRS Talk and other OpenMRS Activities.

Preffered : Past GSoC Students, GSoC mentors, GCI Students and GCI Mentors.

GCI-2019 Updates

Organization Applications are now open for Google Code-in 2019. Deadline is Monday, October 28, 2019

I will be starting to draft the application for GCI this year too. If anyone interested to help or administrates, Please let me know.

@suthagar23, thanks for getting this on our radar! I’m looking forward to hearing about those changes you hinted at… :slight_smile:

• Compared to the last year, The contest begins bit late than the last year’s timeline.
  • Few ideas to increase the number of students for our org and GCI too.
  • Improvements/Changes based on last year findings

I will initiate it while doing the application preparation and give my thoughts clearly here!.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks for the updates @suthagar23. I would like to participate as the admin for this year in GCI :star_struck::star_struck:

Am neither of the above but would like to mentor, however due to the activities i’ve been doing , i’ve been like a third mentor to some GSOC students :grinning:

2 Likes

@mozzy yes you are always :star_struck::v:

I’m neither of them right now, but I have decent amount of experience in Open Source Contributions(have worked with few orgz. in past) and also looking forward to participate in Summer of Code this yr. What I believe is that all it requires to be a GCI mentor is the passion for open source and helping newbies to learn and explore the things.

I would love to be a GCI mentor for Open MRS community @suthagar23

Hi @suthagar23 ,

I’m interested to be a org admin this year. I would like to discuss more on the proposal and how we can proceed/improve further this year with our past experiences as successful GCI organization. :smiley:

Best regards,

Jude

Definitely !!!