GCI-2018 : New Ideas from GCI Students to improve OpenMRS

Hi Students,

I have created this talk thread to have your ideas and thoughts in one place which can help OpenMRS for the future developments.

First, you need to claim one of these tasks from GCI dashboard :

1. Research the UI issues in OpenMRS Ref Application 2.8.0

Then submit your work only to the GCI dashboard. Once your mentor reviewed and approved, then only add your ideas here. You should mention the approved Mentor name in the post here.

I would like to keep only the final version of ideas here (Having conversations or discussion for an idea in this thread may reduce the impact on other ideas here) So posts without approved mentor name will be deleted to reduce the number of posts.

Thanks.

2 Likes

@suthagar23 thanks for this

Hi everybody! I have included a link here wherein I explored some UI issues in Database Changes , of which was already approved by @suthagar23.

I think in general the UI is fine, but the UX could be further improved through a declunking and addition of a search feature, as I have explained in the PDF. I would love to have a conversation in the proposed edits, and would be more than willing to actually try to make the component hahha :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi! Iā€™ve described some ideas for improvement of Global Properties manager in this document :smiley: My task was approved by @suthagar23

Iā€™m aware that this component isnā€™t used very often/by a large group of people but Iā€™d like to implement my ideas someday. This page really needs some upgrades, which might not matter at the moment but in the future could be really helpful. Iā€™m not questioning the looks but rather the functionality.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge about any of the front-end JS frameworks used today (afaik OpenMRS RefApp mainly uses Angular), but it wonā€™t stop me from learning it or simply trying to use vanilla JS, maybe with the help of jQuery. :slight_smile: BTW, trying to replicate my ideas using simple graphics software was probably the funniest part of doing this task :grin:

2 Likes

Got my task approved by @f4ww4z

My idea is to update the links in a few pages under the System Administration module, which Iā€™ve also documented in my report. This is the related JIRA issue

Will work on another task meanwhile, and come back to work on this as a GCI task

1 Like

Hello Everyone! I have prepared a report on UI issues of OpenMRS Ref Application and have also suggested measure to improve it. My submission was approved by @f4ww4z

You can check it here: UI issues Report

The 3 components I focused on are:

1) Registration of patient: I proposed a ā€˜next buttonā€™ to proceed further in form filling.

2) Appointment Request: I proposed a simple Time Zone conversion tool.

3) Finding Patient Record: I proposed a listing of complete patient data along with itā€™s systematic arrangement.

I have explained all these proposals in the PDF.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi everyone! My task was approved by @pkatopenmrs

Iā€™ve focused on fixing UI issues on Vitals page. I didnā€™t want to redesign it completely, because I understand my ideas should be realistic and implementable. There are a lot of small things which are not so hard to fix, but at the same time I believe working on them will lead to a better user experience.

Take a look at my submission on this PDF.

Some fixes there are relevant not only for Vitals page, but for some other ones.

UPD: just saw that Satvik and I have familiar ideas about ā€œNextā€ button but on different pages. Feels like itā€™s really needed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I liked the idea of the ā€˜back buttonā€™ too. To be honest, I thought of this implementation along with my ā€˜next buttonā€™ implementation :smiley: These are the small things which go unnoticed but do have great significane in the user experience :slight_smile:

Hey there everyone! Iā€™d suggested improvements in UI design in the Data Management page. I have added things which I believe will improve user experience.

My task had been approved by @pkatopenmrs and here is my PDF file.

Things I changed :-

• Using same text field for ID & name.
  • Reduced the information displayed while merging.
  • Removed shifting of buttons.

For details information, kindly refer to the PDF linked above. Thank You! :smiley:

Hi everyone. Speaking of tabs @lana @satvikshri which are a part of Register Patient and Vitals wizards, I find them being overly-complicated for this design. While tabs do make sense when every page includes a lot of fields, buttons and so on (which fall under one category), in most cases these pages contain just one field and a simple explanation. Wouldnā€™t it be easier to just put them on a single page, separated with horizontal lines? Itā€™s definitely easier to use mousewheel rather than switch between the tabs (this also makes it not possibile to see all of the data weā€™ve entered at one time and it forces the user to switch between the pages in a specific order (Patient Registration does that)). Iā€™ve mentioned this problem when doing other task here.

I mean, OpenMRS web client is specifically designed for Personal Computers (for mobile use thereā€™s Android and iOS client) so itā€™s better to use available free space on the display.

Yeah, it definitely makes even more sense than just having next/back buttons. Nice idea!

Hey @anuar2k , I really liked the idea of merging the whole form in a single page separated by horizontal lines or just spaces. I think you should create a new talk topic for the same to take opinions of other community members too. I will prepare a basic preview of the proposal UI for demonstration purpose. :slight_smile:

Hello, my task was approved by @ykarim250. I suggested improvements for a couple of components, mainly System Administration, Reports, and Metadata. For SysAdmin, I proposed a new way for the ā€œupdate moduleā€ loading process. The reports page was empty so I added a message for the user. One of the tables in the metadata component was poorly formatted, so I recommended a fix for that table. My proposal can be found here

Hello everyone my task was approved by @suthagar23 and @f4ww4z

I suggested the following improvements:-
  • Be friendly and helpful: Make webpage more usersā€™ friendly by adding OpenMRS bot at the bottom right corner .OpenMRS bot is a useful contribution to the community. Why donā€™t we use it wherever possible? ļ‚·

• Eye-catching Font: Use eye catching font for main headings. Before reading only font attracts the user interest. ļ‚·

• Make it memorable: Make it look attractive by using different themes. ļ‚·

• FAQ: A FAQ is good to help users clear their doubts/query. ļ‚·

• User Guide: A simple user guide at the starting must be helpful for the new users and I guess it is the most important feature to develop more users. ļ‚·

• Feedback: One of the most basic guidelines for improving usability is to provide an optional feedback. Feedbacks are great even regular users can post any bug/ issue they find in the Reference Application. ļ‚·

• Use Negative Space: Use negative space because there so much of white space left below. Using so much whitespace doesnā€™t show an attractive look. Using negative space hides the much of the whitespace which is indeed beneficial for the Reference Application. ļ‚·

• Use Grid for layout: Since the website is mostly white using a grid for layout must be the best solution. Use green or black color so it can matches with colors already used in the website. ļ‚·

• Hold up a sign: OpenMRS bot must be useful holding an optional link to the feedback form. ļ‚·

• Outbound links: Hyperlinked photos to be used. ļ‚·

• Be responsive & mobile-friendly: Mobile might not be in use this much but it has more scope in the future. Generally, mobile.website.com is used to create mobile friendly websites.

1 Like