GCI 2016 Planning

@surangak Did we apply for GCI? What do we need to do to get ready for that?

2 Likes

A task list for GCI students to work on and backup org admin

2 Likes

@dkayiwa here is some good resource I found http://en.flossmanuals.net/gci-melange/organization-administrators/organization-application-period/

@surangak is probably busy so someone has to step in to help. @k_joseph has already declared his willingness to help and am also willing to help out anyway I can. From the code-in timeline organizations start applying on the 24th of October and am sure we are suppose to already have our issues ready before we can apply.

I also understand that running programs like this takes a lot out of peoples time and maybe the community is this quite about code-in due to other programs.

2 Likes

Very good update @ivange94!

In the meantime, as we wait for @surangak to come back, are there things that you two @ivange94 and @k_joseph can lead to get started now?

2 Likes

if we can be pointed to some documentation of how OpenMRS has always prepared and executed these programs then we can pick up in @surangak’s absence but until then we may be a bit relaxed, am thinking that now is the time we documented all these background leadership tasks so that in the future it may be easier for someone to always step forward and lead the programs

2 Likes

Very good point! As we wait for that, could we start preparing the tasks that these students will work upon?

3 Likes

@ivange94 do you still want to be a GCI mentor? We could work out a little radiology project :wink: ideas are never a problem :laughing:

3 Likes

@teleivo sure. I still very much will love to :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Needless to say, along with @ivange94, me and @pralay would also love to volunteer as GCI mentors. Can’t wait to see what’s next!

3 Likes

Here is last year’s OpenMRS GCI Wiki page: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/RES/Google+Code-in+2015

Does somebody want to create a new page to start on organizing this year’s program?

Should this discussion go under the category Community -> google-code-in? https://talk.openmrs.org/c/community/google-code-in

1 Like

It would involve somebody taking the lead to write the org application, gather tasks for students, and when accepted, arbitrate…I know last year I had a good number of students DQ’d for cheating…I absolutely love GCI, but that was the least fun part(I wasn’t org admin, just the guy who handled that part)…basically as org admin, you’re the person in charge of making sure students have fun and follow the rules and if they don’t…notify Google and have them kicked out.

Please, please, please do not throw this all on @surangak, he’s got enough on his plate…somebody who responded should take the lead(I have no interest in doing anything in a leadership capacity anymore, just making people aware).

2 Likes

I have setup https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/RES/Google+Code-in+2016

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks @k_joseph. So it seems the next couple of steps would be to determine how to write the org application and start collecting ideas of tasks for students.

@k_joseph or @dkayiwa (or anyone else that is interested and has done GCI before) - are either of you willing to take the lead for this event with support from others getting the app written?

Do we list student tasks on the wiki page? Or do we put them somewhere else?

@janflowers, any documentation about the applications we have used before! i can get some minutes to this so that we apply asap

I think we need to list the tasks, i can help get the tasks listed, we can use a label maybe to track the issues

2 Likes

We used JIRA for the past two years OpenMRS participated, under the GCI JIRA Project. Some can be reused, some need to be reworked. Notice we added the year (gci2014,gci2015), so add gci2016 to the tasks we wanna reuse. This is of course all documented…

Note: Keep an eye out for plagiarism, it is sadly a thing. I’ve seen people rip text verbatim from Wikipedia, our own site, and things they found on Google. One student really ticked me off.

3 Likes

I’ve added @ivange94, @pralay, @teleivo, @bholagabbar to the Wiki page as mentors: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/RES/Google+Code-in+2016

I have some ideas for tasks/projects for students, should we create a Talk thread to start putting those out there - or should we add them to JIRA and we review them from there?

4 Likes

I think we should create a thread on Talk about the mentors so that the incoming students know exactly whom to contact and get in touch with. We can have a thread titled ‘GCI Mentor Introductions’ along with :

1. Short description of the mentors
  2. The tasks/module they will be focusing on, along with the tags assigned to tickets
  3. Mentor contact information, for instance IRC nickname.

I highly recommend all GCI mentors to setup an IRC Bouncer of sorts, or remain connected to IRC at all/most times. The best solution I found was IRCCloud (Thanks @r0bby!) where you can be active on the channel at all times (The free plan is 2 hours after checking in, after that you go idle) with native apps for Android and iOS and only receive notifications when mentioned. I have setup mine and will continue to remain active.

Telegram is fine but please mention your username on the thread so students can ping you over Telegram since we don’t know who is / who isn’t active on Telegram through the TelegamBot (or do we? Incase we do, students need to know how)

Communication is crucial and I feel all mentors should help out students /respond to students whenever and however possible to avoid them feeling lost / create Talk thread for trivial issues etc.

This thread could be pinned on Talk. That’s about it! As long as we have students actively in touch with mentors, a lot of things would become easier.

4 Likes

Remember also that Telegram has a bot that bridges between the two.

1 Like

Im just helping out @ivange94 in the background if he needs me :smile: I will not mentor myself this time.

2 Likes