Feedback for Roadmap 2017

Hi, As you were asking for feedback regarding you roadmap for 2017 on Twitter, I read through it and here is the result of my attempt to give some constructive feedback:

Positive observations

• The themes and features sound promising.
  • The most interesting feature on the roadmap for me (as potential implementer) is the Implementer Interface.
  • It’s nice that you are asking for feedback.
  • The Mingle project is readable for the public.

Suggestions for improvement

• It would be nice to have links into the Mingle/Trello tickets for all the features with high and medium priority.
  • What do you mean with “(Stream)”?
  • Even though 0.87 is already released, the Roadmap wiki page states that ‘Release v0.86’ is currently under development.
  • The statement “Please note that the roadmap is continuously evolving as we learn more based on research, market needs, client feedback, etc.” is duplicated. I would transform the red warning box into an info box and move it into the “Bahmni Roadmap for 2017” block.
  • “Devops” is a too unspecific feature. Maybe you can remove it from the roadmap as the improvement of the CI environment is an ongoing task and not interesting for the clients.
  • “Care Plan” is also kind of unspecific. Actually you have already mentioned it as a theme. I think this is an indicator that this feature needs to be split into multiple features.

Random ideas for improvement

• A quarterly roadmap might be easier digestible for clients and better controllable for you. A colleague of mine observed that everything which is beyond a quarter is kind of a guess.
  • Where are you looking for community contributions? The link I (and Google) have collected for the “Bahmni Community Tasks” is broken or not applicable because its visibility has been changed to private. Further a reference and notice might be appropriate on the roadmap.
  • There is an easy to use Confluence macro for roadmap planning (Roadmap Planner). I almost got my Product Owner to try it out :). Here I have collected some screenshots to give you an idea how to use it: gist.github.com.
  • Introduce a column in the roadmap table which maps the features with the themes.
  • It might be a good idea to add a “Progress” column into the roadmap table, e.g 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%.
1 Like

@janux: Thanks a lot for such an insightful and detailed feedback! Much appreciated.

It would be nice to have links into the Mingle/Trello tickets for all the features with high and medium priority.

I agree. It is already on out ToDo list. Will update this page soon.

What do you mean with “(Stream)”?

A Stream basically is a “stream of work” – something that is expected to be continuously running. For instance the Devops stream of work will continuously keep happening, because we have continuous improvements / fixes to be made.

Even though 0.87 is already released, the Roadmap wiki page states that ‘Release v0.86’ is currently under development.

Good catch. Thanks! I fixed it.

The statement “Please note that the roadmap is continuously evolving as we learn more based on research, market needs, client feedback, etc.” is duplicated. I would transform the red warning box into an info box and move it into the “Bahmni Roadmap for 2017” block.

I made changes by moving the upper box into the Roadmap Panel. Please see.

“Devops” is a too unspecific feature. Maybe you can remove it from the roadmap as the improvement of the CI environment is an ongoing task and not interesting for the clients.

You are right that its unspecific. Devops isn’t just for CI improvements, but its also for installer improvements – since our install process uses Ansible under-the-hoods, and therefore, improvements to the install & upgrade process also will come under this activity. I would also like to point out that this roadmap isn’t just for customers, but also for the the team, developers, and various members of the community. So, it may not interest most customers, but this item can interest potential volunteers who want to work on Devops activities. But yes, I think we need to identify more concrete sub-items under Devops. For instance – in last few months we moved all our test infrastructure to AWS from Sify datacenter – and this was a heavy Devops activity.

“Care Plan” is also kind of unspecific. Actually you have already mentioned it as a theme. I think this is an indicator that this feature needs to be split into multiple features.

Yes you are correct. The term Care Plan is vague, and means different things to different people. To give you some context, every Big Feature in Bahmni team goes through two stages:

a. Research Stage b. Delivery Stage

In the Research Stage, the item is moved into “Under Research” lane in Trello Board, and a Functional+Tech owner is assigned. They work towards identifying use-cases, impact, possible solutions, mock-ups, etc for the feature with the aim of defining an MVP that would make sense for Bahmni. All of this is documented in a shared/public google document and linked in the trello card. Once an MVP is identified and agreed upon, then the feature is broken into Epics/Stories and entered in Mingle to be delivered across one or more releases. At this stage, the item is under the Delivery Stage.

The care plan feature is still under Research Stage (just started), and when the team has more clarity on its possible “parts”, we will create a high level delivery plan, and also update the Roadmap page to get more specific on what does “Care Plan” mean in the context of Bahmni. Overall Care Plan is a series of features threaded together for specific use-cases (and not a single big feature). So, I agree the moment we have clarity and a plan, we should make that more visible. /cc @sruti

A quarterly roadmap might be easier digestible for clients and better controllable for you. A colleague of mine observed that everything which is beyond a quarter is kind of a guess.

Mostly agree. The one year plan still needed to be created by us, because we needed to have internal discussions with ThoughtWorks on staffing and people allocation for the year. Plus, the general direction for the year helps us in being more focussed on the customers we target in the short term. So, if we are looking to develop Care Plan, Hub & Spoke and IPD this year, then identifying and working with customers who need these features this year, will help validate the feature and also get design inputs.

But, we have also created a rough quarter-by-quarter plan for this year last week. It is still being internally discussed / debated. Once its more concrete, we plan to put that up too on the same roadmap page.

Where are you looking for community contributions? The link I (and Google) have collected for the “Bahmni Community Tasks” is broken or not applicable because its visibility has been changed to private. Further a reference and notice might be appropriate on the roadmap.

The Open Community Trello board is this (public board): https://trello.com/b/ZQXj4fri/open-community-work Can you tell me where you got the above link? I will fix it.

There is an easy to use Confluence macro for roadmap planning (Roadmap Planner).

It looks good! Will give it a shot.

Introduce a column in the roadmap table which maps the features with the themes.

Each feature usually maps to more than one theme. But if you feel it may be helpful, I will add it.

It might be a good idea to add a “Progress” column into the roadmap table, e.g 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%.

Yes. We wanted to add something like that. I figured, we will add it when there is at least one item that is COMPLETE. Will add it soon. Maybe something like this (https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Technical+Road+Map)?

2 Likes

Hi @gsluthra,

I am glad that you found it useful. Thank you for taking all the items into consideration and the comprehensive description of your processes/opinions.

The statement “Please note that the roadmap is continuously evolving as we learn more based on research, market needs, client feedback, etc.” is duplicated. I would transform the red warning box into an info box and move it into the “Bahmni Roadmap for 2017” block.

I made changes by moving the upper box into the Roadmap Panel. Please see.

:thumbsup:

Where are you looking for community contributions? The link I (and Google) have collected for the “Bahmni Community Tasks” is broken or not applicable because its visibility has been changed to private. Further a reference and notice might be appropriate on the roadmap.

The Open Community Trello board is this (public board): https://trello.com/b/ZQXj4fri/open-community-work Can you tell me where you got the above link? I will fix it.

No, I am collecting bookmarks habitually and don’t know where this one is coming from.

Introduce a column in the roadmap table which maps the features with the themes.

Each feature usually maps to more than one theme. But if you feel it may be helpful, I will add it.

This item is under the “Maybe a Good Idea/Maybe not” section. Please make a draft and ask someone else for his/her opinion.

It might be a good idea to add a “Progress” column into the roadmap table, e.g 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%.

Yes. We wanted to add something like that. I figured, we will add it when there is at least one item that is COMPLETE. Will add it soon. Maybe something like this (https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Technical+Road+Map2)?

Yes, I think the status badges are even better than a percentage declaration.

I made a few more updates to the Roadmap page. I have added Trello / Mingle links to most items. Will update this further in some days.

https://bahmni.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BAH/Roadmap

1 Like