Design Forum 2020-10-26: Discussing the technical documentation for new developers from GSOD

Hi all, as we continue improving our technical documentation for new developers ,on Monday 2020-10-26, we will be discussing some of the documentation that has been done by one of our technical writers under GSOD .Feel free to join us!

To join the call using Audio, Chat, & Screen Sharing please use the latest Firefox, Chrome, or other WebRTC-compatible browser and go to:

Who: Anyone in the community with an interest in improving techical documenation for new developers. @kpietrowicz @a99fallen @hydraverx,@hbalajadia @bsmith148 @rquiloan @nischith @umsani05 @shining @manish @theanandankit @prayutsu @pranoppal @dedrickt @dedrickt @sachin0102 @pmisko @geofreys @lubinga @grace @jennifer @sharif @rainbow @burke @dkayiwa @ibacher @gracebish @saurabh

When: Monday, 26-October- 2020 at 9:30pm IST | 7pm Nairobi | 6pm Cape Town | 4pm UTC | 12pm Boston | 9am Seattle

3 Likes

@herbert after the discussion on the work done in GSOD uptill now, it would be really helpful if we can get some responses for the survey here.

1 Like

@herbert24 Please let us know if it is possible to share the link(s) to the GSOD documentation being talked about (if already published), having a look at it would give us a heads up before the actual meeting. Thank you.

1 Like

The links for the documentations (draft) for this meeting are here:

1 Like

Thank you! That’s really helpful!

1 Like

@herbert24 thanks!! I have got a couple of actionable feedbacks for the survey here, hope to get more responses for the survey.

1 Like

Here’s the recording for Monday’s Design Forum.

2 Likes

I would like to thank everyone involved in this on going effort to improve the tech docs for new developers joining the OpenMRS community. I was part of the meeting on 2020/ 10/ 26 and gathered a lot of useful inputs. I am myself trying to understand the bottle necks for a new dev navigating the current Wiki pages.

As I expressed during the meeting, personally for me there was clarity everywhere and the one place where I got stuck was the http://devmanual.openmrs.org/en/Case_study/yourFirstModule.html page of the Developer manual. On this page I am referring to the Customize Your Module section.

It would be really helpful, if at the end of this section a reference is made to the Source code/ git repo of the customized module being talked about. This would bring in a lot of clarity for new developers trying to understand the OpenMRS platform, as going forward, module customizations would be one of the key areas for new devs to work on.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input!