Creating a Surveillance Report on Bahmni Mart

I am trying to create a bubble chart on Metabase.

Goal: Creating a Bahmni Mart Report to aggregate diagnosis per location and time to be able to view increases on certain diagnosis based on these two criterias (location and time)

The table looks similar to this:

p.s think of the hidden locations as some different location from the General Ward

So far I have tried and came up this far:

I have basically the:

X → The Diagnosis
Y → The Location IDs
Bubble Size → The number of cases

Questions: \

1. How can I replace the IDs on the Chart with the actual Location Names (location_name) (I think the bubble chart wants numeric values only in its Y axis)?
  2. I know I did not include the time factor yet, so any recommandations on a different chart type or approach would be appreciated.

Hi @aidjali ,

Not a direct solution, but giving you some tips that might help solve this better.

1. It appears you are using Metabase to connect/query the OpenMRS DB directly, and you are not queryign the Bahmni MART database. Is this assumption correct? The reason I ask this, is that OpenMRS DB uses the OpenMRS Data model (OpenMRS Data Models), where-as Bahmni MART, extracts data from OpenMRS DB and transforms and then stores it into mart DB (in a flat easy to query structure). Plz confirm which one you are using… OpenMRS or Mart DB?

2. If you are using OpenMRS DB (like most implementations), then you can look at existing Reporting SQLs to get idea of how to query data from OpenMRS. See this wiki page: https://bahmni.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/BAH/pages/1867786/List+of+Repositories+needed+for+Development+on+Bahmni (see section Hospital and Implementation Specific Repos. Most repos have all sqls in openmrs/reports folder as .sql files). e.g SQLs: jss-config/openmrs/reports at master · JanSwasthyaSahyog/jss-config · GitHub, and this: possible-config/openmrs/reports/hmis at master · Possiblehealth/possible-config · GitHub. These queries can give you an idea on how to query the data model (which is frankly a bit complex, which is why MART was created).

3. In this case, you are actually wanting to show multiple things: Different Diagnosis, Count of Each Diagnosis, Locations and Across Time (4 dimensions). In that case, you can choose Location as a dropdown(filter), and then bubble chart over time (x-axis) + bubbles of diagnosis (with size of diagnosis as count). Or try a Stacked Chart. See this: Which chart should you use?. First maybe start with a table, and then see what visualisations feel useful. An Area chart can also be considered, where X axis is time (months), Y axis is count of diagnosis, and each trend line is for each diagnosis (or a selected list of diagnosis) and overall filter is location (to generate the chart).

1 Like