Creat new REST endpoints in my module

I’m having difficulty in creating the new endpoints. I’ve already looked at prior posts. I could not find any complete examples not outside of core endpoints. Much appreciated if someone can check my code at https://github.com/levine12/rest I would like to use a GET to retrieve all items from the database, as well as a POST to create a new item. Any help is much appreciated.

1 Like

@levine have u had a look at this https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Adding+a+Web+Service+Step+by+Step+Guide+for+Module+Developers

1 Like

Sure, I checked that site and added the dependency, added the files ItemResource.java and BasicexampleResourceController.java Much appreciated if you would check those files to ensure they look good.

you can share those files here and we have a look

indent preformatted text by 4 spaces

BasicexampleResourceController.txt (877 Bytes) Item.txt (1.9 KB) ItemResource.txt (3.3 KB)

Of course, these are all .java files @gcliff, thanks much for your assistance

@levine do u mind using https://pastebin.com/, for easy readability

If your sure your service classes are rightly configured and they can transact with your DB , your rest end points shuld be able to work. i’ve taken a look at your ItemResource.java. and you should be able to see it in your Swagger document given you run these platform versions "2.2.*","2.3.*"

I’ve pasted the code Here

@levine what exactly is the difficulty that you are facing?

@dkayiwa I"ll have to get back in just over a week since I’m leaving town - I’ll be sure to get back. Thanks much

I’m seeking help to perform 2 basic REST calls; a GET call to retrieve all items from the database and a POST call to create a new item. Here is a curl command to test: curl -u admin:Admin123 -X GET “http://localhost:8081/openmrs-standalone/ws/rest/v1/item” -H “accept: application/json” Following is the error message I get:

{"error":{"message":"Resource does not exist. Please check documentation for implemented resources and their paths [Unknown resource: v1/item]","code":"org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.api.impl.RestServiceImpl:419","detail":"org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.response.UnknownResourceException: Unknown resource: v1/item\n\tat org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.api.impl.RestServiceImpl.getResourceByName(RestServiceImpl.java:419)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)\n\tat sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)\n\tat java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:317)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:190)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:157)\n\tat org.springframework.cache.interceptor.CacheInterceptor$1.invoke(CacheInterceptor.java:52)\n\tat org.springframework.cache.interceptor.CacheAspectSupport.execute(CacheAspectSupport.java:303)\n\tat org.springframework.cache.interceptor.CacheInterceptor.invoke(CacheInterceptor.java:61)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)\n\tat org.openmrs.aop.LoggingAdvice.invoke(LoggingAdvice.java:121)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.adapter.MethodBeforeAdviceInterceptor.invoke(MethodBeforeAdviceInterceptor.java:52)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.adapter.MethodBeforeAdviceInterceptor.invoke(MethodBeforeAdviceInterceptor.java:52)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:207)\n\tat com.sun.proxy.$Proxy449.getResourceByName(Unknown Source)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.v1_0.controller.MainResourceController.get(MainResourceController.java:178)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)\n\tat sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)\n\tat java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)\n\tat org.springframework.web.bind.annotation.support.HandlerMethodInvoker.invokeHandlerMethod(HandlerMethodInvoker.java:177)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.invokeHandlerMethod(AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.java:446)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.handle(AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.java:434)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:943)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:877)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:966)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:857)\n\tat javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:621)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:842)\n\tat javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ForcePasswordChangeFilter.doFilter(ForcePasswordChangeFilter.java:60)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilterChain.doFilter(ModuleFilterChain.java:72)\n\tat org.openmrs.web.filter.GZIPFilter.doFilterInternal(GZIPFilter.java:64)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilterChain.doFilter(ModuleFilterChain.java:70)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.filter.AuthorizationFilter.doFilter(AuthorizationFilter.java:105)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilterChain.doFilter(ModuleFilterChain.java:70)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.filter.ContentTypeFilter.doFilter(ContentTypeFilter.java:64)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilterChain.doFilter(ModuleFilterChain.java:70)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.ShallowEtagHeaderFilter.doFilterInternal(ShallowEtagHeaderFilter.java:82)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilterChain.doFilter(ModuleFilterChain.java:70)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.owa.filter.OwaFilter.doFilter(OwaFilter.java:64)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilterChain.doFilter(ModuleFilterChain.java:70)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilter.doFilter(ModuleFilter.java:54)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.openmrs.web.filter.OpenmrsFilter.doFilterInternal(OpenmrsFilter.java:108)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.springframework.orm.hibernate4.support.OpenSessionInViewFilter.doFilterInternal(OpenSessionInViewFilter.java:150)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:105)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:105)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:105)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:88)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:222)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:123)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:502)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:171)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:100)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:409)\n\tat org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1044)\n\tat org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:607)\n\tat org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:313)\n\tat java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)\n\tat java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)\n\tat java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)\n"}}

With regard to my latest post please refer to this code.

@levine in your code , i see this in your resource controller

@Resource(name = RestConstants.VERSION_1 + "/basicexample/item"

that implies , the actual url would be
http://localhost:8081/openmrs-standalone/ws/rest/v1/basicexample/item”

and this is what your calling
http://localhost:8081/openmrs-standalone/ws/rest/v1/item

can you plainly just do this in your Resource controller

/ @Resource(name = RestConstants.VERSION_1 + “/item”, supportedClass = Item.class, supportedOpenmrsVersions = { "2.2.", “2.3.", "2.4.” })

I changed the resource controller, per your suggestion. I’m calling curl -u admin:Admin123 -X GET “http://localhost:8081/openmrs-standalone/ws/rest/v1/item” -H “accept: application/json” but still get the same issue, resource does not exist.

on which core/platform version are you running ??

I’m running reference app standalone 2.8.1 on iMac

it runs on core 2.1.* yet , your resource supports
supportedOpenmrsVersions = { "2.2. ", “2.3. ", "2.4. ” }).
Can you support some more lower versions of the core?? ie supportedOpenmrsVersions = {"2.0.*" ,"2.1.*", "2.2.* ", “2.3. *", "2.4.* ” })

@mozzy, thanks very much for your support! I made the changes for the lower versions and provided a change to the source code - see here Now, I"m able to retrieve all of the items in the DB, as required. However, I am not able to save a new item. I’m using the following curl: curl -u admin:Admin123 -X POST “http://localhost:8081/openmrs-standalone/ws/rest/v1/dbTestItem” -H “accept: application/json” -H “content-type: application/json” -d “{ "description": "rerer"}”

This results in the following error: {“error”:{“message”:“The Resource Does not Support the Requested Operation [null]”,“code”:“org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.resource.impl.BaseDelegatingResource:285”,“detail”:“org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.response.ResourceDoesNotSupportOperationException\n\tat org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.resource.impl.BaseDelegatingResource.getCreatableProperties(BaseDelegatingResource.java:285)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.resource.impl.DelegatingCrudResource.convert(DelegatingCrudResource.java:103)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.resource.impl.DelegatingCrudResource.create(DelegatingCrudResource.java:76)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.v1_0.controller.MainResourceController.create(MainResourceController.java:92)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)\n\tat sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)\n\tat java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)\n\tat org.springframework.web.bind.annotation.support.HandlerMethodInvoker.invokeHandlerMethod(HandlerMethodInvoker.java:177)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.invokeHandlerMethod(AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.java:446)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.handle(AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.java:434)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:943)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:877)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:966)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:868)\n\tat javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:647)\n\tat org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:842)\n\tat javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ForcePasswordChangeFilter.doFilter(ForcePasswordChangeFilter.java:60)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilterChain.doFilter(ModuleFilterChain.java:72)\n\tat org.openmrs.web.filter.GZIPFilter.doFilterInternal(GZIPFilter.java:64)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilterChain.doFilter(ModuleFilterChain.java:70)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.filter.AuthorizationFilter.doFilter(AuthorizationFilter.java:105)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilterChain.doFilter(ModuleFilterChain.java:70)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.webservices.rest.web.filter.ContentTypeFilter.doFilter(ContentTypeFilter.java:64)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilterChain.doFilter(ModuleFilterChain.java:70)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.ShallowEtagHeaderFilter.doFilterInternal(ShallowEtagHeaderFilter.java:82)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilterChain.doFilter(ModuleFilterChain.java:70)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.owa.filter.OwaFilter.doFilter(OwaFilter.java:64)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilterChain.doFilter(ModuleFilterChain.java:70)\n\tat org.openmrs.module.web.filter.ModuleFilter.doFilter(ModuleFilter.java:54)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.openmrs.web.filter.OpenmrsFilter.doFilterInternal(OpenmrsFilter.java:108)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.springframework.orm.hibernate4.support.OpenSessionInViewFilter.doFilterInternal(OpenSessionInViewFilter.java:150)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:105)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:105)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:105)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:88)\n\tat org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:222)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:123)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:502)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:171)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:100)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)\n\tat org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:409)\n\tat org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1044)\n\tat org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:607)\n\tat org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:313)\n\tat java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)\n\tat java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)\n\tat java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)\n”}}

I just added the method getCreatableProperties. Now, I can get all items and save an item! Many thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @levine do you have this error fixed code? if you have can you share it please.