Comparision between Openmrs,OpenEMR,OpenHR.Why some one choose the Openmrs why not the other opensource platform.Looking for a key differences.

I know openmrs is a platform on top of which we can developed the Customizeable solution.But I got a specific question,I try to answer the question with the following:

1:OpenMRS is openSource Platform. 2:OpenMRS is module Architecture . 3:OpenMRS is using latest Technologies like Java,Spring. 4:OpenMRS is backed with a large community. 5:OpenMRS support concept based dictionary.

But I was unable to convince a person with these answer.Can some one please provide me suggestion what are the thing,which I am missing.

Note:I am engage with openmrs from last two years.So I fully backed openmrs. Thanks

1 Like

Could it be time to take that person through a demo instance of each?

Hello @naveed1228 :slightly_smiling_face:,

Am a quite new to the Open source community but a little bit about the similarities of the mentioned platforms is that they are all opensource to begin with and hence possibly as you noted Open* (the prefix Open) on the different platforms.

The OpenHR is a human resource and workforce management platform to help in managing employees of an interested company or organisation. The OpenMRS like OpenEMR is a/are Electronic Medical Record System(s) that help in managing patient data and health care provider details for a particular clinic hospital or any health care service provider organization.

This did help me understand what OpenMRS is, User Guide - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki

Concerning this,

any of the platforms can use the technologies you have mentioned here and not only OpenMRS for example Modular architecture, Java programming, Spring in an open source environment among many other standards.

1 Like

I think he got little bit knowledge.He is looking to build a complete solution for Dental management system. He asked me for a module for dental management,I looked for it.I am not able to find any working module for dental management.

So the basic question in his mind is

Question:How openMrs benefits us if we build a dental module on top of openMRS.Why not to choose the openEMR and openHR?

If OpenEMR has what he is looking for, out of the box, then go for it.

No OpenEMR also don’t have that as well.So If he goes for development why he choose OpenMRs other than OpenEMR?

Repeating his same question,as he repeated in front of me.:thinking:

Does OpenEMR have a module architecture where you can extend it to add this functionality without having to fork and modify its core? If yes, then go for it.

1 Like

beautiful thanks,I will worked on OpenEMR and will let you know.

I think, if someone help to add these comparison to openMRS Wiki would help others to find out the platforms based on their requirements :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @suthagar23 Do you have any experience with OpenEMR?

Unfortunately, I don’t have any such a experience on the OpenEMR :frowning:

After 7 years administering an OpenEMR system including a bit of hacking to customise it we are now looking for a new solution as OpenEMR no longer fulfills out needs especially with the direction the project is heading. As such I’ve been putting OpenMRS through its paces to figure it out as well as some module development for our custom needs. As such, I feel I can offer some insight into the two.

OpenEMR is a fantastically good out of the box fully functional package IFF you’re based in the US running a moderately sized facility and have little to no desire to customise/adapt it. The appointments system in particular is one of my favourite I’ve come across, even if the library doing it was officially deprecated in 2005… Sadly though I’ve found time and time again that some workflows just don’t work for us, and adapting them is next to impossible.

I’ve also found the guts of OpenEMR to be downright ugly in places, view logic mixed in with core business logic mixed in with raw SQL statements. Code documentation is unheard of, and often your left guessing completely what a function does as dynamic typing does even give you a hint there. If you want to change anything its very unpleasant.

On the face of it, OpenEMR allows you to customise all database columns and basic form fields. Whilst this looks like a really useful feature, the column names are often hard coded into other unrelated views which will just error if you have renamed/changed a column. To give an example, here in the UK with don’t have HIPPA, so I once attempted to replace the HIPPA consent fields with ones better suited to our use case (Data Protection Act acceptance etc). This caused chaos a few years later when the appointment reminders were introduced (although unused) as these relied on the hippa_sms column etc.

OpenEMR also has little to no automated testing that I have found, and the documentation which alludes to them is highly outdated (as is most of the documentation). This means breaking changes are very easily introduced.

By contrast OpenMRS is rather minimalist, especially the platform distribution. The reference application includes a few more features such as appointment scheduling and a basic UI, but it doesn’t concern itself with billing, stock management or any of the non clinical features you might want. Bahamni includes these, but I personally do not get on with it, YMMV.

What OpenMRS does allow you to do is pick and choose what features you want through the modules system, and if it doesn’t exist, just write your own, something I’m currently doing for appointments as the reference appointmentscheduling module doesn’t suit our needs. I will also be creating a module similar to the billing and finance systems in OpenEMR as we currently utilise those a lot. Whatever development I’ve done so far I’ve found the API easy to work with (once I’d remembered how to Java), and test coverage is good enough that I’m assured I’m not breaking things in the process.

Although its still early days for me with OpenMRS, I also really like the data model, it’s just much more flexible than OpenEMR’s. Person attributes appear to be the ideal solution to the problem of differing demographic requirements, and having just checked those out as part of writing this post, edit permissions per attribute are very nice indeed.

So in essence it boils down to what you want and need. If OpenEMR fits your needs perfectly now and for the foreseeable, and you like the direction development is going, albeit slowly, then I can see no reason to not recommend it. On the other hand if you want the flexibility, development speed and robustness, OpenMRS is probably the better choice if you have the ability and time to put into making it work for you.

4 Likes

@tomtom5152 this is the most authoritative comparison of the two systems, that i have ever come across! Thank you so much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. This is one of the best unbiased comparisons that I have seen for a long time comparing any two EMRs.

When I was searching for a out-of-the-box EMR to be installed in my Macbook I ended up with two choices - this is end of 2014. OpeEMR and OpenMRS I had little time to spend as I needed an EMR to practice in Sri Lanka (what I was used to in Australia). So i went for OpenEMR. At that time I had to do a significant amount of work to get it working to suit the SL primary care or Family Practice. I had given up programming about15 years ago with my clinical and research background and OpenEMR was my choice. I do not regret it even for a moment. My favourite is the past consultations (I have pts with up to 16) that shows up one line per consultation and even the clinical notes in SOAP format can be read without going into each consultation.

However when I wanted to make changes and had some computer software students to look into the OpenEMR code - this was an huge problem. Very few could untangle the code and I had to depend on just one extremely clever student who could do a the basic changes I need. I have the ICPC2, drugs we use in SL generic-brand now in OpenEMR. Its running in VPS and I have no complains.

Few people keep telling me about the data model of OpenMRS, development speed and the community plus the University links makes me now think of OpenMRS.

I have even not attempted to do any changes. However I was impressed when I took only 15 min to install OpenMRS in my MacBook -that was great!

Again Thank you for all the information

Cheers KM

Hi Tom What would you recommend that I use to export the patient demographics from OpenEMR to OpenMRS? Thank you in advance KM

One good thing about Openmrs is it’s modular architecture. You can build your own module as extension and use it along with Openmrs. Does OpenEMR also has this flexibility?

1 Like