Can we get a lighter background?

The page background in some of the categories, specifically the leadership category, makes it difficult to read the text.

Could we try a lighter background? For example:

Thanks!

-Burke

Thanks for your feedback!

For some background & education for the “general public”: We put up a background image on private/non-public categories on OpenMRS Talk to remind people that they are communicating in a privileged space, which may help prevent unintended disclosure of private/personal information.

The secondary reason is to actually discourage “too much” posting in private areas. As a free and open source software project, we want to communicate as much as we can publicly and openly. If people get in the habit of defaulting to private communications, important conversations may be missed by the community. So, to some extend, we want a fairly low contrast level

For the original version of the background image @burke modified above, our contrast between the darker color (#CFE1CA) and the foreground text color (#222222) was 11.57:1, which passes the W3C’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 at both levels AA and AAA. (Level AAA requires a foreground-to-background contrast ratio of at least 7:1 for normal-sized text, and at least 4.5:1 for large text.)

That said, those contrast ratios are actually based on solid backgrounds and there are no good calculations that I’m aware of that account for visual interruptions (the “lock” icon in this example) in the background as we have designed. So we can certainly go back to the originals and trying to knock them down a notch and see how they perform, while keeping in mind our two goals of being obvious and just slightly annoying. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

BTW… I put “https://talk.openmrs.org/uploads/default/567/a199789195a4e280.png” into my Ad Blocker and now I can read leadership posts again. :thumbsup:

1 Like