Position Title: Business Intelligence Engineer
Reports to: Associate Director of Strategic Information and Systems
Location: Boston (20% travel to PIH global care delivery sites)
The Business Intelligence Engineer is an experienced leader of organizational strategy and implementation of system integrations, data pipelines and data warehousing, enabling expanded and improved data access and use, data governance, and enhancing Partners In Health (PIH) teams’ ability to make data-driven decisions.
The Business Intelligence Engineer will partner with clinical, operational, and business teams across the organization to design and develop solutions to support data warehouse and business intelligence initiatives. This work may include developing data architecture, programs and procedures using standard data architecture methods (e.g. star schema and snowflake data models), SQL and ETL development tools, modern database technologies, and supporting analytics and report dashboard development. The position requires strong data management, problem-solving, integrations, business system, time management and documentation skills.
- Partner with business and data analysts to design, develop and maintain data pipelines, data governance compliance, procedures, and tooling to support local and global data warehousing.
- Gather and identify system requirements through collaboration with clinical, data analysts, information systems, business systems, and other stakeholders across multiple administrative and clinical locations globally.
- Lead the design of data warehouse schemas and data architecture to ensure system scalability, performance, data integrity and ease of use.
- Develop and maintain ETL programs for disparate systems both on premise and in the cloud.
- Participate in designing system data models, data integrations and automated data management solutions.
- Lead the design of data sharing and integrations between systems for improved cross-functional reporting and insights.
- Collaborate with technical stakeholders to determine best practices and implementation of non-functional requirements such as exception/error handling, performance optimization and code management.
- Use various SQL tools or scripts to monitor data quality, identify issues and implement solutions.
- Support subject matter experts in their development of reporting and analytics
- Maintain parallel training and documentation activities to help build global data management capacity
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Business Intelligence, Data Science, Information Technology
- 3-5 years of Business Intelligence experience with proven data warehousing, data management and analytics skills
- Expertise leading data warehousing strategy and implementation
- Experience with multiple data warehousing tools and technologies (star schema, snowflake data models), modern database technologies, and technologies for stream and batch data processing
- Experience gathering requirements and understanding the needs of diverse stakeholders
- Advanced proficiency with SQL
- Experience with analytics and programming languages including Python, JAVA, R, and STATA
- Experience with Power BI, Jet Reports desirable
- Proven ability to learn new systems, processes and problem solve
- Data Analytics experience working in low-resource settings
- Advanced Excel skills
- Attention to detail
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and countries
- Cover Letter and Resume required
Partners In Health (PIH) is a non-profit, global health organization that fights social injustice by bringing the benefits of modern medical science first and foremost to the most vulnerable communities around the world. PIH focuses on those who would not otherwise have access to quality health care. PIH partners with the world’s leading academic institutions to create rigorous evidence that shapes more sound and all-inclusive global health policies. PIH also supports local governments’ efforts to build capacity and strengthen national health systems.
As of today, PIH runs programs in 11 countries (Haiti, Peru, Rwanda, Mexico, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Malawi, Lesotho, Russia, Kazakhstan, Navajo Nation), where it provides direct care to millions of patients, through public facilities and community engagement.
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.