bamboo setup for transifex

I was playing around with this today, and I discovered something a bit annoying.

Per this bug report, the tx client uses file timestamps to decide whether a resource is changed and needs to be downloaded, so if you’ve just done a git clone it will always think your local files are newer. You need to use the -f (force) option to work around this.

(This just means that we’re going to end up downloading all the translations on every build.)

Here’s a first stab at the script:

I have not yet tried adding this to any bamboo plan.

@cintiadr, when I run the command that you helped me with in this PR, it shows there being changes even if there are none. Can you advise on how I should change this command?

For debugging, here is some output (after doing tx pull -f --mode=reviewed): (perhaps this has something to do with the force option I mentioned a couple messages back in this thread)

$ git diff-index HEAD :100644 100644 0ce9adada3a71b4ca4b46df2ff7098e32a15385e 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 M api/src/main/resources/messages_de.properties :100644 100644 108e8ca49c75ec7c7a63a1d68a3feca40b863db3 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 M api/src/main/resources/messages_fr.properties :100644 100644 837b7527fe45bcef4080a88b1350d3620e98df4c 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 M api/src/main/resources/messages_ht.properties :100644 100644 366275184c0d2c44d2588aac886d73a2d6242797 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 M api/src/main/resources/messages_pt.properties

djazayer$ git diff-index --stat HEAD api/src/main/resources/messages_de.properties | 0 api/src/main/resources/messages_fr.properties | 0 api/src/main/resources/messages_ht.properties | 0 api/src/main/resources/messages_pt.properties | 0 4 files changed, 0 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)

$ git diff-index --summary HEAD (nothing)

Hum. Weird.

So, the diff-index should return different exit codes

~/git-repo (master:git) $ vim resume.html
~/git-repo (master:git) $ git diff-index --quiet HEAD --; echo $?
~/git-repo (master:git) $ git checkout .
~/git-repo (master:git) $ git diff-index --quiet HEAD --; echo $?

The IF on the bash should not use the output of the command, but rather the exit code (0 is success, others are failure). To debug it, can you please run this?

#!/bin/bash
# Script to pull transifex translation files, and commit them to git if there are any changes.

tx pull -f --mode=reviewed

git diff-index --quiet HEAD --; RETURN_CODE=$?
echo "diff-index returned ${RETURN_CODE}"
if [[ "$RETURN_CODE" == "1" ]]; then 
  echo 'There are changes to be committed'
  git commit -am "committing translations from transifex"
  git push
fi

Hmm, I should note that (1) this is on my own mac (git version 2.7.4 (Apple Git-66)), not running on the agent, because I was just testing things out, and (2) I created the script in the checked-out folder.

Perhaps the behavior I’m seeing is related to this, but it appears that running git status changes the output of git diff-index. Like this:

nadjazayer:openmrs-module-uicommons djazayer$ tx pull -f --mode=reviewed (blah blah, lots of output) nadjazayer:openmrs-module-uicommons djazayer$ git diff-index --quiet HEAD --; echo $? 1 nadjazayer:openmrs-module-uicommons djazayer$ git status On branch master Your branch is up-to-date with ‘origin/master’. Untracked files: (use “git add …” to include in what will be committed)

test.sh

nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use “git add” to track) nadjazayer:openmrs-module-uicommons djazayer$ git diff-index --quiet HEAD --; echo $? 0

So maybe this won’t be a problem when I actually do this on CI, e.g. should I be checking out this shell script into a different folder?

That’s very creepy.

I’m running locally, will see CI agent in a minute.

~/openmrs-module-allergyapi (master:git) $ git --version
git version 2.6.4 (Apple Git-63)
~/openmrs-module-allergyapi (master:git) $ tx pull -f --mode=reviewed
Pulling translations for resource OpenMRS.allergyapi-module (source: api/src/main/resources/messages.properties)
 -> fr: api/src/main/resources/messages_fr.properties
 -> ht: api/src/main/resources/messages_ht.properties
 -> pt: api/src/main/resources/messages_pt.properties
 -> pt_BR: api/src/main/resources/messages_pt_br.properties
 -> de: api/src/main/resources/messages_de.properties
 -> es: api/src/main/resources/messages_es.properties
Done.
~/openmrs-module-allergyapi (master:git) $ git diff-index --quiet HEAD --; echo $?
~/openmrs-module-allergyapi (master:git) $ git st
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

modified:   .tx/config
    modified:   api/src/main/resources/messages_de.properties
    modified:   api/src/main/resources/messages_es.properties
    modified:   api/src/main/resources/messages_fr.properties

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

.tx/OpenMRS.allergyapi-module/
    api/src/main/resources/messages_pt_br.properties

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
~/openmrs-module-allergyapi (master:git) $ git diff-index --quiet HEAD --; echo $?
~/openmrs-module-allergyapi (master:git) $ git co .

@cintiadr, try the https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-module-uicommons repo (since this one doesn’t actually have changes now when you do the tx pull)

There you go, I managed to reproduce it every single time :smiley:

A random kind soul answered that on stackoverflow http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34807971/why-does-git-diff-index-head-result-change-for-touched-files-after-git-diff-or-g#comment57362288_34808299

Apparently we need to run git update-index -q --refresh every single time we want to get an updated index, which is supposedly what a git status or git diff does. Funny, uh?

~/openmrs-module-uicommons (master:git) $ tx pull -f --mode=reviewed
Pulling translations for resource OpenMRS.uicommons-module (source: api/src/main/resources/messages.properties)
 -> fr: api/src/main/resources/messages_fr.properties
 -> de: api/src/main/resources/messages_de.properties
 -> ht: api/src/main/resources/messages_ht.properties
 -> pt: api/src/main/resources/messages_pt.properties
Done.
~/openmrs-module-uicommons (master:git) $ git diff-index --quiet HEAD --; echo $?
~/openmrs-module-uicommons (master:git) $ git diff-index --quiet HEAD --; echo $?
~/openmrs-module-uicommons (master:git) $ git update-index -q --refresh

Also, I discovered that the without the --quiet option, the command will always return 0 (usually the quiet mode only suppress the output, right? But this one changes exit behaviour too).

@cintiadr, thanks for investigating, you rock! (Because there was no way I was going to be able to figure this out in the background of my weeklong meetings.)

I updated the PR at https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-bamboo/pull/1/files. (I guess I can merge this myself, unless you have an easy way testing this on the agent first.)

I tested both the allergyui (with changes) and uicommons (without changes), and both appear to work fine with this version of the script (I just prevented it from pushing the new commit).

So I think we can merge and I can create the build for any module you want, just let me know how you want it to be (a manual stage? A separate build?)

So far I have only reviewed all translations for the uicommons module, so for now only that one.

I’m concerned about the fact that this will add additional time to each build (and chain of builds), but at the same time we want it to be automatic.

Can you try adding it as a separate stage for only the uicommons module and we can review the real world performance hit on the next few builds? (E.g. reply on this thread saying what was the last build before you make the change.)

-Darius (by phone)

For some crazy reason, this answer ended up in spam so I didn’t see it.

So I did it -> https://ci.openmrs.org/browse/UICM-UICOMMONS-740

I made it a separate stage, because I wanted it to not happen in parallel (maybe it can? Not sure). There’s a side effect that if a commit happens, a new build will be triggered. Which makes me think if this shouldn’t be another build, that runs (let’s say) nightly.

In order to test commit/push, a change in translation should happen, as well as a new build in ui-commons.

Hmm… Given that issue, and that we don’t want to slow down the build, maybe we should indeed do this as a separate build.

I wonder if there is a way to have a single build do this for all modules we have in transifex, rather than have 20 different plans…

-Darius (by phone)

Well, if you want a build that is triggered on schedule (instead of on commits) it should be trivial to do one single build for all the modules. But the question would be if that’s what it would be best!

@cintiadr, I just got a chance to look at the before and after timings on the UI Commons module whose build we updated, and…the data is a mess, I can’t interpret anything from it. (The 10 passing builds prior to the change took from 1-12 minutes. The passing builds since the change took from 2-5 minutes.)

Personally I don’t see any reason not to do this as a scheduled nightly job, that can loop over all the modules, if that’s easier to implement.

@cintiadr, having thought this through a bit more, I do think it makes sense to have a single job that does this nightly, rather than add it into every build plan.

I was also able to write a script that marked all translations up to this point as reviewed, so we’re ready to apply this to all the modules that are translated via transifex.

Do you have some time to write the bamboo task and/or script for this? (I can make a list that maps our github repos to their associated transifex projects, if that helps.)

All right, here it goes:

First, I did a quick workaround to not push changes to git (so we can check before pushing all the things). https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-bamboo/commit/c761d41186e36f7b4a2490358086469ba6fcad97

The build is:

Can you please check if the build is actually correct? Repositories, expected output, and everything. If that’s all correct, please go ahead and revert the commit, so it will actually push changes to github :slight_smile:

The build is running everyday 1am UTC time, which appears for me to be ~nightly~ enough for Europe/USA. Server is UTC, you can change it to any other time desired https://ci.openmrs.org/chain/admin/config/editChainTriggers.action?buildKey=TRAN-TRAN

I created https://wiki.openmrs.org/x/Y4ouBg with some steps on how to add a module to that build, but I’d assume the documentation is probably not good enough and it’s missing the first steps (adding the .tx folder to the module, do something on the transifex server, etc).

I didn’t include openmrs core, because I thought the user might not have commit access? Or maybe we don’t want it committing to the core, not sure.

Thanks @cintiadr, I peeked at a few examples, and they seem good. And thanks for creating the documentation wiki page. You get 10 bonus points for that. (Not sure what you can do with them…)

I used “nightly” as a euphemism for “about every 24 hours”, since the sun never sets for a geographically distributed open-source project. In other words, 1am UTC is fine. And we do not want to include openmrs-core, so we’re good there.

I reverted the safety commit and ran the plan, but there are errors. @cintiadr, I assume you’ll know in 2 minutes whether this something we should set on the agents, or as part of the update translations shell script: https://ci.openmrs.org/browse/TRAN-TRAN-ALP-8

(I disabled the job just so someone looking at our build dashboard doesn’t see a red build.)

A green build! https://ci.openmrs.org/browse/TRAN-TRAN-17

So, the official problem was, when doing the git push: ‘fatal: No path specified. See ‘man git-pull’ for valid url syntax’

The reason is that when Bamboo clones a repository, it doesn’t set the git ‘origin’, so there’s no upstream to be pushed to. When the plan has only one repository, it’s quite simple to get the URL of the repository (variable ${bamboo_planRepository_repositoryUrl} ).

But on this case it’s not so straightforward, as we have multiple different repositories on the same plan. So a workaround for that is reconstruct the github URL based on the name of the job: https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-bamboo/commit/1aad5c8d3a6400ade338d1ee1b9fd6d34fe773fa

Another small fix was to setup push.default config in our git configuration on the agents, preventing some the warnings. https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-bambooagent/commit/94279c32ee3fd8069281889306d1c3a40681b042

Woohoo!

(I also re-ran, and verified that it doesn’t commit anything if there are no changes. That worked for some of the jobs, but others timed out. Hopefully this doesn’t get too flaky.)

One thing: we’re going to eventually be translating things that are not modules (e.g. something like openmrs-owa-conceptdictionary) so we’ll eventually need to find a better hack for specifying the repo URL.