Bahmni installation on Amazon AWS

Hello, I am trying to install Bahmni on Amazon AWS instance. I haven’t even created the AWS instance, because Bahmni recommended “For production purposes, CentOS 7.6 64bit” OS. Does anyone who has created the CentOS 7.6, 64bit image in AWS? I couldn’t find the correct AMI from EC2 or Lightsail from Amazon. Can someone tell me which image from AWS is suitable to install Bahmni? Is there any consultation service out there to consult on Bahmni installation? Thank you. Zaw Min.

@mumzm have you found a solution so far ?

Hi @tendomart , I installed CentOS 7.9.2009, which is the current supported version from CentOS, and install Bahmni 0.92 on top of it. But, I never got successfully complete the Bahmni installation, but stuck at the “TASK [bahmni-odoo:Start Odoo and enable at boot]” “Unable to start service odoo: Job for odoo. service failed.” error. There are posts about this issue and suggested to uninstall and reinstall beautifulsoup4, and I did many times, but still I was getting the same this error consistently. So, I tried to find the CentOS 7.6 as Bahmni web site suggested ( For production purposes, CentOS 7.6 64bit is the recommended & tested platform for running Bahmni version 0.92 and above .). So, I tried to get the CentOS 7.6 version last night and fresh install CentOS 7.6 and Bahmni 0.92, but at the end, I am still getting this very same above error “Unable to start service odoo”. I tried exactly suggested uninstall and reinstall beautifulsoup4, but, it does not help at all in my case. Can you please suggest me any help or direct me to someone who can help me? I am working for a nonprofit organization, which is needing desperately this software to help people from Myanmar. In Myanmar we are having massive Covid crisis and we need a strong software to handle immediately. Thank you. Zaw.

Have yo tried to reach @angshuonline ? and if not try him . Or you can still get to me inbox so we chat at length . Areyou strictly hosting on AWS or you have options like Google Cloud Platfrom ?

Hi @tendomart , thank you so much for replying my questions. No, I haven’t reach out to @angshuonline . I will do right after this reply to you. Currently, I am installing onto my local laptop with 16Gb RAM, since this Bahmni installation requires much stronger instance than I have on Amazon. Otherwise, I will have to bump up my Amazon AWS instance and it will cost me while I am testing. But, at the end, I may have to keep my Bahmni instance on Amazon and pay for the stronger AWS instance (which will cost me about $160 per month). So, my current plan is to install onto my laptop first and see how it goes. If everything went well and this is exactly the software we need, then, I will reinstall it onto Amazon AWS. How can I send you message to your inbox? My email is mumzm@hotmail.com. Please let me know. Again, thank you so much… Zaw.

Hello @mumzm ,
Am not a Bahmni expert , but i have worked with it some time ago.
Installing Bahmni directly on a machine (ie not using the Bahmni Vagrant Box ) is usually not a smooth process , Some times there failures caused by Bamhni trying to download deprecated packages that no longer exist .

i would recomend atleast to try out this Bamhni docker project , other wise you may have too much issues to resolve

1 Like

Hi @mozzy , yes, I am willing to try any suggestions, since I am totally at the deadend by this "Unable to start service odoo: Job for odoo.service failed, error. No matter which CentOS version I tried or 20 times I reinstall freshly, at the end, I can not pass this error. I am very new to using Docker, so if you don’t mind, can you please guide me where I can find the documentation and instruction on how to use Bahmni with Docker? Another question is, once it is successful, is this approach suitable to deploy onto Amazon AWS or Google cloud environment? Even though I am installing onto my laptop right now (which I can try anyway it will make it work), but at the end, for production, I will have this Bahmni to host by some cloud services (such as Amazon or Google). Please let me know. thanks, Zaw.

@mumzm I also heard you mention something about Telemedicine @ggomez happened to own this

Incase you need further help don’t hesitate to reach out.

Hi @mozzy , I just read about Vagrant Box approach, and now I understand (at least what is Vagrant Box :slight_smile: ). But, the problem is, I am not just trying out Bahmni installation on my laptop. After this software is right one for my organization, I will have to setup this onto AWS or cloud service which can host this for thousands of patients, and at least a few hundred users. So, I can’t use Vagrant Box approach for my production, and I will have to face the same issue which I am struggling. I need a software which I can successfully installed on my test machine(currently which is my laptop), and soon to be deployed on the cloud). thanks, Zaw.

Docker is a very popular tool to deploy applications on remote servers ,.

@Mekom uses the same project to deploy bahmni for their Bahmni implementations

@reagan @ruhanga , can you provide a documentation to deploy Bahmni with the docker project , especially working with already existing published images ??

1 Like

Yes , the vagrant box is not recomended for prodcution . But this docker project is currently used in production

1 Like

@mumzm The telemedicine app can be got from github at https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-telemedicine-app

and the reverse proxy server at https://github.com/openmrs/openmrs-contrib-telemedicine-proxy

so you probably just have to clone the app and build it locally , setup the proxy server and allow it to communicate with your Openmrs / Bahmni instance

@dkayiwa can the proxy server also talk with Bahmni ?

Hi @tendomart , so this telemedicine app will communicate/register data into OpenMRS or Bahmni? That’s what we are planning to do, so sounds like they have done what we are thinking right now. Thank you for sharing this info @tendomart. So far, I have successfully installed OpenMRS 2.4.0(only core) server before. I couldn’t use OpenMRS, because I can’t find lab module, pharmacy module, radiology modules, which are compatible with OpenMRS 2.4.0. That’s why I am investigating Bahmni, so, I can do patient/physician registration, scheduling, lab results, prescribe medicine, incorporate radiology results, etc. Do you know any open source software which can do above? I think we will have to assemble by ourselves to get all of those functionalities, right? I don’t think I can get those all ready made, but can you suggest at least the best match software out there? thanks, Zaw.

@mumzm Bhamni comes with most of the features

You can also try out UgandaEMR https://emrportal.mets.or.ug/ (It has lab , .pharmacy and other modules)

Common Lab module https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Common+Lab+Module

Pharmacy module https://github.com/jembi/openmrs-module-pharmacymanagement

Radiology module Radiology Module - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki

You can get more modules from addons https://addons.openmrs.org/

1 Like

Hi @tendomart , thank you so much for your information. I have been trying to install OpenMRS and adding those modules such as (Lab, Scheduling, UI, Radiology) modules and finally I have to give up. The problem is that, OpenMRS core and those modules are having version conflicts, unless if some teams or organization has oversee all those modules and use them with one common version. Initially, I install the latest OpenMRS core version 2.4.0. Then, I tried to add-on one module after another. But, once I install/add another module, my original OpenMRS installation will crash and no longer working anymore. Finally, I found out that, that module was not compatible with my OpenMRS core. So, I had to downgrade my OpenMRS core to 2.0, then, add another different module, then, found out that second module is not compatible with my first module. And so on. Then, finally, I gave after I spent several weeks. So, finally, I decided to use the one which is already proven and working version from some organization. That’s why I am asking around people from here. Thank you to you guys for very useful information. Do you think this UgendaEMR is compatible with those Lab, Pharmacy, Radiology modules? Or I will only know after I finish my installation? Thank you… Zaw.

See the instructions to run Bahmni from docker-compose

this docker project is basically for building and publishing the images

1 Like

Do not waste your precious time on those modules if you do not have a developer who is going to fix them. They will just not work as is.

I did not try Bahmni installation with the Docker (Vagrant box), because, I have about 300 doctors who will be using this app at anytime. I don’t want my installation (at the production) will have performance issue. I want to install Bahmni to utilize full server CPU and memory on the server. Vagrant box is not recommended to use for Production, right? So, even I can install Bahmni in Vagrant box, I will have to install production version without Vagrant box and I will have to solve this error on production. What I am looking for is to have a proven working telemedicine platform with OpenMRS or any EMR backend framework. I need something working version immediately to help a group of doctors who are helping people in Myanmar. Thanks, Zaw.

Yes, you are right that, I don’t have developer resources to fix the issues or bugs. That’s why I am finding the working version to start with. Can you suggest, is there any working version of software which has lab, scheduling, pharmacy, radiology modules with OpenMRS or any similar platform? Thanks, Zaw.

In this case you had to use an openmrs disto like Reference application to begin with , since it also ships with a UI , just like Bhamni. Just like @dkayiwa cautioned , core is like a “headless animal”

we have many more distro tailored for different use cases than what’s provided at OpenMRS Distributions - Documentation - OpenMRS Wiki

However i believe the you can use the images suggested by @mozzy above then go for AWS Elastic Beanstalk since it provides capacity provisioning, load balancing, auto-scaling to application health monitoring among other benefits, which fits your use case of 300 doctors.