Bahmni and Raspberry Pi 3(as thin clients)?

I was wondering if anybody here used the Raspberry Pi 3 as thin clients or workstations, especially for wards use using WIFI connection to the server. Raspberry Pis run on Ubuntu. Anyone?

My apologies for I don’t know what type of category is my question.

I moved this to the #software:bahmni category. (Since the question is about Bahmni, it belongs here.)

You cannot use a Raspberry Pi as the server, as mentioned in this thread (which I know you already saw).

For the client, you really just need something that runs a modern web browser. I don’t know of anyone who has used a raspberry pi for this, but you could test it out and see. E.g. connect to the Bahmni demo server from that machine and see how it performs qualitatively.

@Darius, Thank you regarding the RPi as a server, as it is obvious since Bahmni requires an octa-core machine and a minimum of 8GB of RAM. :frowning:

Anyway, am still acquiring a Raspberry to test it as a thin client. Will do let you know here how it goes…

We tested Raspberry pi -3 Model B as the client. Few points we noticed.

1. Slow response in comparision to chrome book.
  2. PACS image loads much of slower.

@sanjayap, what OS are you installing on the RPi 3 Model B?

We installed Ubuntu 16.04 but unluckily, we encountered problems on the built-in WIFI. We want a wireless environment on this small hospital(considering the cost of installing wired connections)

We preferred Ubuntu among other OSes, because of its compatibility to mostly desktop printers(for printing reports).

@jarvis Raspbian (Default OS) We are Bahmni User.

I will try Raspian…Ubuntu is slow in accessing Bahmni

1 Like

Report: After installing several Linux distro on the Raspberry Pi and even the Pi 3 Model B, for me the RPi IS NOT recommendable for Bahmni thin clients…I opt to use the 2-in-1 stationary tablet that boots both Windows 10 and Android. On windows mode, Bahmni works very fine…you just have connect to a larger monitor via HDMI to have a good view of the Bahmni UI. Thanks @sanjayap

1 Like

I think thats the best way to go. We use chrome book with touch option available which is stable and are being used since 2 years. Chromebook is cheap and stable.

1 Like

We have been very happy with chromebooks as well.

1 Like

Hello…you really just need something that runs a modern web browser. I don’t know of anyone who has used a raspberry pi for this, but you could test it out and connect to the Bahmni demo server from that machine and see how it performs qualitatively.

cheap pcb assembly

Since image processing and vieweing xray images takes a lot of resource which is not possible from the PI machine. FYI we are using the Raspberry Pi 3 which is not stable in terms of uses (Lacks of memory)