Announcing the 2017 Malawi OpenMRS Implementers’ Meeting!

Followup on this. We’re forwarding all email from the OMRS17 gmail to our OpenMRS Events email address.

1 Like

… or just use events@openmrs

We are. However, the Malawi conference planning team all have access to OMRS17 gmail and that’s not the case with the events email.

1 Like

have the infra team setup a group for you.

@jeffneiman, raise a ticket on helpdesk.openmrs.org and we can totally set that mailing list for you. Please raise because otherwise I’m totally going to forget it :smiley: :smiley: Or any email you want, really.

My question is: how exactly do I apply for a visa??? The link on that page say I should go to an Malawi Diplomatic Mission, which is not exactly simple in my case. It says I can apply for a Visa Letter via email, but it doesn’t explain how.

Just sending an email requesting for a visa letter should do.

1 Like

I got an answer saying I should get the visa on arrival instead. Hm.

1 Like

Sorry when I first read this thread and saw letter, I thought of invitation letter.

I just spoke with the team in Malawi. Two other ways to acquire a visa would be to visit your local Malawi embassy and the other would be for the planning team to apply internally.

I can’t speak from personal experience for Malawi, but I would always get my visas on arrival when traveling to Uganda.

Let me get more information and get back to you.

2 Likes

This is what the Australian government website mentions about Malawi visas:

You need a visa to enter Malawi. Apply for your visa for Malawi well in advance of travel at the nearest Malawi Diplomatic Mission. Where this is not possible, a visa may be obtained on entry into Malawi so long as you have obtained prior authorisation from Malawi Immigration Department. This authorisation is in the form of a visa letter. Contact permitcounter@gmail.com to apply for visa letters.

Rules and procedures surrounding visa letters are unclear and implementation is inconsistent. Airlines may require you to hold a visa or a visa letter prior to boarding flights to Malawi.

Immigration and customs services at land borders only operate during daylight hours. To avoid being stranded, confirm beforehand what time these services are available. Visa and other entry and exit conditions (such as currency, customs and quarantine regulations) can change at short notice.

For my recent visits, I have gotten a VISA at the Malawi airport. I used $75 usd. Not sure of other currency.

@cintia - so great that you are going to OMRS17!!

1 Like

@jeffneiman sorry, we didn’t know about the possibility of scholarships until… last night (CEST). So we quickly submitted ours, I hope they can still be considered?

Hi jeff, Regarding the visa for Malawi would like to know who is involved in Planning team as here in Nepal we dont have the Embassy as well as consulate office of Malawi. Thank you.

Do we know how many registered participants we had in total and from how many countries?

@eddiemu is this of any help? Feedback needed for 2017 Annual Report Draft

1 Like

Please keep in mind that this is not a final version of the Annual Report.

However, this version will provide the information you’re asking for.