Adding CohortBuilder OWA Icon to Reference Application homepage.

Application Name: Reference Application, Bahmni Version Number: 2.6.0.

Question: Morning family, hope you are all well. My team and I are working on Cohortbuilder-owa. We went through this wiki doc: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/projects/Add+an+extension+or+button+onto+the+home+or+SystemAdministration+or+any+other+page trying to add the cohort builder icon to the reference application homepage but ran into difficulty doing so. Could you please advice us more on how to go about it and how to get artifactid plus all the required fields for this to work.

@suthagar23 am sure you can help here because you have already done this for your open web apps. :slight_smile:

yah Sure @dkayiwa

hi @upendo, You can follow this way to create that Icon in Reference application home page.

First, you need to go to System Administration -> Manage Apps and the click Add App Definition. In the window, Just type this commands,

{
    "id": "cohortbuilder",
    "description": "modern refresh of the OpenMRS Cohort Builder tool ",
    "order": 0,
    "extensions": [
        {
            "id": "demoapp.homepageLink",
            "extensionPointId": "org.openmrs.referenceapplication.homepageLink",
            "type": "link",
            "label": "CohortBuilder",
            "url": "owa/cohortbuilder/index.html",
            "icon": "icon-list-alt",
            "requiredPrivilege": "Replace with a privilege name, or else remove"
        }
    ]
}

Here, ID - You can mention your OWA ID Order - Order your Application Icon in the Reference application homepage (0,1,2,…) Label - Text under your Icon on the home page Url - Which URL wanted to open when user click that Icon on the homepage Icon - Which Icon wanted to show on the homepage

1 Like

Thank you. We are trying it out now.

@dkayiwa, We have added the cohort builder icon to the reference application home page successfully. Thank you @suthagar23.

You are welcome @millicent and @upendo :slight_smile:

@suthagar23 do we have those instructions anywhere on the wiki? If not, could @millicent or @upendo add it to the wiki as a token of appreciation for your services? :smile:

@dkayiwa We can get it from the OWA Development workflow wiki pages. But It just has the config definition.

Anyway Creating one page with clear information will help better :slight_smile:

All i was looking for was a link you can point some one to, instead of repeating the details for everyone who will ask. :slight_smile:

@dkayiwa I have created one Wiki Page for this purpose :slight_smile: https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Adding+OWA+Icon+to+the+Reference+Application+Homepage

That is so sweet of you! :smile: In order to avoid duplication, how about just putting a link to it from here? https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Open+Web+App+Development+Workflow#OpenWebAppDevelopmentWorkflow-5.AddHomeScreenLink

Yah I have edited that page and inserted a link to new page.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Just reading this conversation I notice that there is no way for an OWA to automatically add a homepage link. I think we should support this too. (I think I wrote something on talk long ago about how I think we should support this by letting OWAs include extensions…)

-Darius (by phone)

Great idea. How do we go about this? Are there modules that implement automatic homepage link addition? and how can this be implemented for OWAs? I would love to take part in this.

I looked back at the previous discussion about this: we never came to a consensus decision about exactly how this should work.

Previous discussion:

I think we’d want to have a proper design discussion about how we intend to approach this now, before moving ahead.