This week’s TAC timeslot is a technical deep-dive session - and it’ll be a fun one!
Goals this week : Two topics:
- Led by @mksrom & @mksd: (30 mins) Deep dive into what’s needed for Easier Deployment & Distribution Packaging
- Dimitri & Romain will demo their current work to improve distribution packaging - and they’re close to doing this with all metadata configurable. Romain has got a WIP prototype that puts together the distribution ahead of its Dockerization, and Mekom has standards in place we’d like to apply to the new OpenMRS 3.0. The backend as well Romain has gotten down to 10 modules - Core + REST + FHIR + EMR API + …, total: 10.
- They’ll also share some of their experience/thoughts on where we should go together for packaging and delivery, e.g. delivery pipelines and mechanisms that will avoid infrequent upgrades (Mekom has extensive experience setting up Bahmni instances fully microserviced with Docker that we can draw from in this conversation).
- Background: We have identified that painful deployments/upgrades need to be a priority that we address for our implementers, and at the same time, we are working hard to make OpenMRS 3.0 a more compact distribution, made of a much smaller bunch of backend modules. So in short it will be a much more lightweight piece of software altogether easing both the release process and the challenge to upgrade. (OpenMRS Core and backend modules are harder to upgrade than microfrontends, so we would be shifting the balance with the new OpenMRS 3.0 architecture.) But let’s get on the same page together about what work is already happening now by members like Mekom.
- Led by @ibacher: (30 mins) How to handle OpenMRS Attributes -> FHIR Extensions.
- Background: Active views throughout OpenMRS where data might need to be mapped into FHIR extensions. Difficult in some places. FHIR extensions are supposed to be identified by a URL → go to URL → get FHIR structured definition. Allow FHIR client to determine something about FHIR extension structure without needing that pre-programmed. Can we do this the way OMRS is set up right now?
When: Friday at 7:30pm IST | 5pm Nairobi | 4pm Cape Town | 2pm UTC | 10am EST | 7am PST.
@burke @mksd @mksrom @ibacher @dkayiwa @wanyee @janflowers @ssmusoke @jdick @aojwang @morrisng @mogoodrich @ggomez @bashir @ball @ccwhite23 @akanter @akimaina @herbert24 @bistenes @tendomart @gcliff @mozzy @sharif