2019-10-09: Product Change Committee Meeting

On recent PCC calls, there has been discussion around defining a vision that we could make progress on in the short term while we work towards gathering input from a broader set of stakeholders at the same time.

I’d like to go back to @burke’s vision for An Amazing Future, where he suggests

Instead of building an EMR framework, focus on building a usable point of care solution with an approach that serve as a foundation for a new Reference Application.

The MF Squad has been working towards laying “the foundation for a web application framework that is both customizable and built using today’s best practice web application development.” As @ssmusoke suggests in his recent post on Ref App 3.0, Where do we go from here? Why not start here?

Here’s the proposed agenda for Wednesday’s call:

• Affirm the vision
  • Identify the broad themes that describe what we want to build.
  • Assign roles for representatives of implementations to gather in the field’s needs

Who: @jdick @mseaton @wanyee @janflowers @akanter @dkayiwa and anyone else in the community and from implementations who wants to join the conversation!

Agenda/Notes: Etherpad

When: Wednesday, 9 October at 9:30pm IST | 7pm Nairobi | 6pm Cape Town | 4pm Accra | 12pm Boston | 9am Seattle

To join the call by phone, dial +1-888-510-4073. To join the call using Audio, Chat, & Screen Sharing please use a compatible browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge) and go to: Dialpad Ai Meetings

2 Likes

I may not be able to make it as I have a rescheduled all day meeting tomorrow.

I believe @jdick may be unavailable tomorrow as well. @wanyee and @mseaton are you both available? I’d like us to make a decision about our objective over the next couple of months. See the #product-change slack channel for detailed thoughts:

Maybe our discussion tomorrow should be focused on what do we want to accomplish between now and the end of the year (or by the moz meeting in december)… are we aiming to do a roadmap? and if so, what are we focused on - technical debt/improvements, functionality improvements, clinical workflow improvements, patient interactions/PCT functions, etc.

Important questions being asked by Musoke in his post that @jennifer referenced above that we should consider, including the option of improving the support tools around OpenMRS (data migration, installation, etc).

I’ll be available.

Thanks @janflowers, I’m planning to join today

Thanks @akanter for the heads up - maybe we can send you some specific questions/thoughts for your input after our meeting? Or you can provide your thoughts on our focus in the PCC objectives based on those questions posed by @ssmusoke in his post?

Thanks for all of the ideas! December’s meeting offers this group the rare opportunity to be face-to-face with the community. Let’s also talk about specific ways to leverage the meeting. Here’s a link to the draft program.

Of course!

Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH FACMI Akanter@e-imo.com +1.646.469.2421

This is what I think the summary of the call yesterday for @akanter and others:

• PCC members have decided that our focus is on what functionally we are building, and not how it is built technology-wise. We will have to work closely with the technical advisory (decision?) committee in prioritizing work to ensure feasibility.
  • PCC members agreed it is our job to be the connection to the on the ground implementations and service providers out there to bring all of the functional requests, needs, problems to the queue to be prioritized.
  • PCC members agreed it is NOT our job to manage the process of how things get built or to find/assign resources to the work. That is the job of the operations team.
  • PCC members agreed that as our first task, we will gather all of the information from all sources in the OpenMRS ecosystem to have a list of work to be prioritized. We will work on a process to lead the community in the prioritization. At the latest, we would like that to happen at the implementer’s meeting in Mozambique.

We have started a #product-change slack channel for communication between those who are participating day to day in this work.

PCC members from yesterday please feel free to correct that or add to it! @mseaton @wanyee @jennifer @mksd @dkayiwa @c.antwi

Notes: https://notes.openmrs.org/2019-10-09-Product-Change-Committee