2018 Collaborative Data Innovations for Sustainable Development - Call for Collaboration on OpenMRS Proposal

Hello,

There’s another opportunity for a grant for OpenMRS:

https://wb-gpsdd-datainnovation.forms.fm/call-for-proposals-2018-collaborative-data-innovations-for-sustainable-development/forms/5070

Excerpt:

The World Bank’s Development Data Group (DECDG), in collaboration with the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD), is interested in supporting innovative collaborations for data production, dissemination, and use. The collaborations should take place in low-income countries and lower-middle-income countries, and be directed towards sustainable development generally, and linked to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in particular.

This call has been issued to target improvements where needs are continuous or recurrent, and where innovations can be readily adapted to other regions and sectors. We are interested in projects that result in data or methods which allow data to be produced faster; in a more cost effective manner; at a higher resolution or granularity; or address data gaps. Our ultimate goal is to encourage collaboration, experimentation, learning and capacity development in the field of sustainable development data.

What are the 2018 themes?

Scaling local data for impact: We are looking for innovations, which have an established proof of concept, and will provide more detailed, disaggregated, in-depth information to benefit local decision-making that can be replicated in other regions of the same country, or in a similar setting in a different country.

Fostering synergies between the communities of non-official data and official statistics: We are looking for collaborations which take advantage of the relative strengths and responsibilities of official (i.e., governmental) and non-official (e.g., private sector, civil society, social enterprises and academia) actors in the data ecosystem, and which can build lasting links between them. "

Funding available for each project: $25,000 to $250,000

Deadline for submission: 15 August 2018

If you have any ideas for project for OpenMRS that would fit this request - post it down below and we can start discussion about what would be the best way to approach this.

I can help with all documentation and organizational stuff, but this proposal needs a technical person with specific vision, who could write down all the details and could create a budget out of it. If you are interested in helping with creating this proposal, please speak up. In the post below, I’ll put the Google document with all the required information that we have to fill, so you can see what we have to prepare.

/cc @Leadership

1 Like

Here is the link to the document, that we can start working on:

Two things come to mind that around scaling local data and fostering synergies between official and non-official data:

1. Creating a generic ETL engine for OpenMRS – i.e., creating a generic process for extracting data from OpenMRS into a data warehouse format that could be used for basic reporting and be extended to meet local needs (shipped with or easily added to subsequent OpenMRS releases). Technically, this could be an ELK stack (Elasticsearch as index, Logstash to load data into the index, and Kibana to view/browse the data) preconfigured for OpenMRS data.

2. DHIS2 Tracker integration – i.e., producing an OpenMRS module that allows OpenMRS to send selected patient-level data to DHIS2 via DHIS2 Tracker (creating synergy between OpenMRS implementations and their ministries). The goal would be to have this included with the Reference Application and useful to anyone using the OpenMRS platform.

Given they want to see multiple orgs collaborating, including end users, and need letters of support from all parties, we will need to move quickly.

@darius, you mentioned to me that Bahmni might be doing work around either/both of my suggestions, so there might be opportunity for collaboration. Could you provide some more details?

Does anyone have contact with someone from DHIS2 project (I guess it would be someone from Health Information Systems Programme (HISP))? Maybe it would be a good idea to write this proposal in collaboration with them?

@bobj what do you think of this? :slight_smile:

This reminds me of a project on (health information system) that was called as a company (Andalusia Healthcare Business Solutions) (AHBS). It was founded in Jeddah; Saudi Arabia, and Alexandria & Cairo; Egypt. Does this help you?

See Creating a Bahmni Mart database for analytics, including the demo link towards the end of the thread (which lets you explore the data mart using metabase). The ETL part is done using Spring Batch. There are a bunch of pre-written data tasks to handle standard domain objects, and to do row-per-encounter-by-form. And you can write custom ones also. And this should be independent of Bahmni, so it should be able to run against any OpenMRS distro.

This was built for one particular Bahmni client, but with design overview from the architects on the core team, as it’s intended to become the generic “Bahmni Mart” solution. The status is somewhere between MVP and 1.0. There are definitely opportunities to extend this, and/or to try hooking it up with other OpenMRS distributions.

There’s a Bahmni project starting now to leverage the Bahmni Mart database above to push data to DHIS2 Tracker. See Bahmni DHIS2 integration for line level data (events with registration). There’s a technical document linked at the end of the thread (that I forgot to review!), so this is at early stages.

To be clear this is already resourced and getting built, but I imagine that we could propose making it more generic and/or better in some way. (The client for this project is active with DHIS2 as well, so I’ll try to contact them and see if they might be interested in collaborating on a proposal.)

I am interested in seeing if we can push this proposal forward given the short deadline.

I propose to add a component about improving the quality of primary data collection from EHR systems including extending the use of the Server Monitoring work in Rwanda and likely other countries. As the SMT already pushes data up to DHIS2 it gives us the capability to provide real time quality indicators for th clinical data collected in addition to prompting action to address system down time etc.

If you would like to have a go at getting this proposal in with me please email me directly: hamish_fraser@brown.edu

If we have 3 good projects with letters of support I think we can do it. Regards

Hamish

Update

• some partners raised concerns about the legal terms and conditions on this opportunity
  • we do not have enough time to do due diligence before the deadline
  • therefore we are going to pass on this opportunity

@maciej again, thank you for the work you’ve been doing to identify these opportunities, and this one really looked promising! Let’s focus on finding a next opportunity with more lead time, and getting a quality proposal together.

1 Like