What's your opinion about OMRS Internships?

Hey, you probably noticed that in a short time a lot of people have registered to OpenMRS community. Some of them are from Poland and take part in our Internships which is called #OMRS 2020 Internships. We would like to link developers from Poland with OpenMRS’ need of developers. The goal of the project is to promote and popularize the idea of open-source programs. We also would like to offer young people a chance to get experience in a worldwide community.

Project assumptions are such that within 4 months the participants reach level 2 dev. From our side, we offer 5 cash prizes each worth 5 thousand zlotych (circa 1200$) for 5 winners who achieve it fastest.

And my question to you is: What do you think about it? What do you do better? And what should I improve in the future?

Let me know what you think about it, Susan

2 Likes

Do you want to write that the main OpenMRS team knew nothing about this raid as part of #OMRS2020? You gave them a nice gift without warning that they would be used that way. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh i see!!! I noticed a sudden increase of introductions from Poland and was wondering what was happening there. Now i know. Thanks @zuzanna :smile:

Would you like the idea of giving them a group introduction?

2 Likes

@zuzanna, will those participating in these internships be sharing their feedback somehow?

1 Like

@zuzanna Thank you for the excellent news!! This is music to the OpenMRS community as part of attracting new entrants as well as supporting the evolution of the platform.

A couple of questions:

• How much time per week do the interns have?
  • I am not tracking the introductions so I am wondering how we can support the onboarding process, would an Introduction to OpenMRS development University Session suffice (I had suggested some office hours a while ago)
  • In the spirit of co-opetition is it possible to get them to work on a set of related projects so that you can also get a sense of the impact of their work

Exciticos galore!

3 Likes

Nope. I’m in touch with them non-stop and of course the whole community couldn’t know about it because it’s impossible to organize buuut one of the main persons in OpenMRS knows it.

1 Like

Hey @ssmusoke, thanks for your support and answering to your questions:

1. It’s a flexible intern so they can spend 2hours per week or even 30 hours. It depends on them how much time they want to spend on tasks. From our side, we do not require specific availability.
  2. Could you develop the topic “OpenMRS development University Session”?
  3. It’s a good idea. I have to say that when we were organizing the internship we were thinking about giving a choice to interns to chose a project which they want the most

I would like to, it would be valuable for OpenMRS itself as well as for other participants. I’ll ask them about it

I had offered them an introduction post at OpenMRS community, but as I see nobody has written sth there.