What's Happening with OpenMRS Professional Development & Academy

So glad to see the Academy idea coming to fruition!! I was so inspired seeing the CHT Academy and I know we can knock ours out of the park :smiley:

So I clicked the Canva link, and this got me thinking, instead of redesigning layouts from scratch, it might save us a lot of time to use this or similar tooling. So I had some ideas:

• Can we copy how CHT did it? Answer: No, not easily. Digging into the CHT Academy, I discovered this is not a custom website page - they used the OSS project OpenEdX; specifically, through the vendor distribution called edunext. OpenEdx seems like you either need to set up your own hosted instance (not really something we have bandwidth for I don’t think) or pay a vendor - I wonder how much edunext charged the CHT folks?
  • Is there an alternative that would host our Academy tech/server for us, that others in the industry are using too? Answer, kind of. This donor-funded service would host the content for us, gives us the editing tools, etc. How to Partner with atingi | atingi Collaboration Guide However this looks mostly focused on GIZ-funded projects and I assume we’d be dependent on GIZ continuing to fund atingi. FWIW here’s a sampling of existing materials different orgs are hosting there; they’re not super well aligned with the DPGA/GG industry specifically, and I do find their UI a bit clunky:
  • The Best of Both: Maybe there’s a better Atingi alternative… this got me thinking, what did OpenHIE Academy use? I inspected their academy and found they used this: https://www.learndash.com/learndash-lms At just $200/year this seems like a good idea - and I especially like that they have ecommerce integration so that would mean expert community Orgs could create OpenMRS Academy content and charge for it, if they really really wanted to.

BUT maybe I’m misunderstanding the initial goals… @jennifer are you thinking that the website page would just link out to existing links / easily maintainable pages on our Wiki instead? This would definitely be faster to set up and maintain right now. We’d just be missing out on the Quiz/Step-by-Step experience of a course product.

2 Likes