Still having trouble with installation

Hello all

I’m still having trouble with my installation of openMRS and I would like to have some ancestors to some my question.

1. Do I ignore errors to do The runtime.properties file ? I gather this is created once you run through the initial web interface installation of the platform server?

2 should the runtime.property file be in tthe. home/openmrs-core/webapp/openmrs-runtime.properties Or in the /root/.openmrs/ folder Example :

Server log file output: WARN - OpenmrsUtil.getRuntimePropertiesFilePathName(2083) |2017-07-17 00:32:27,537| Unable to find a runtime properties file at /home/openmrs-core/webapp/openmrs-runtime.properties WARN - OpenmrsUtil.getRuntimePropertiesFilePathName(2111) |2017-07-17 00:32:27,542| Unable to find properties file: /root/.OpenMRS/openmrs-runtime.properties WARN - OpenmrsUtil.getRuntimeProperties(2044) |2017-07-17 00:32:27,542| Unable to find a runtime properties file. Initial setup is needed. View the webapp to run the setup wizard. WARN - OpenmrsUtil.getRuntimePropertiesFilePathName(2083) |2017-07-17 00:32:42,903| Unable to find a runtime properties file at /home/openmrs-core/webapp/openmrs-runtime.properties WARN - OpenmrsUtil.getRuntimePropertiesFilePathName(2111) |2017-07-17 00:32:42,906| Unable to find properties file: /root/.OpenMRS/openmrs-runtime.properties

1. If I want to run the reference application do I need to also have the legacyui omod loaded into the modules folder of my WebServer? If so should I compile the legacyui omod before I copy across the other reference application omods?

2. What is the best way of loading the reference application omods… One by one through the web interface as part of the administration panel of the open MRs system or just to dump all the files into the modules folder using a copy command at the Command line?

3. Also get the following error … not sure what it means WARNING 7/17/17 1:00 AM:liquibase: modifyDataType will lose primary key/autoincrement/not null settings for mysql. Use and re-specify all configuration if this is the case

Thanks for your help

Oliver

Alternative way, You can use OpenMRS-sdk to install OpenMRS in your platform. Can you try openmrs-sdk to install the required modules?

You need to setup a server (first time only) as follows:

mvn openmrs-sdk:setup-platform -DserverId=adminmodule

Then you can install modules to this server,

mvn openmrs-sdk:install -DartifactId=owa -Dversion=1.7-SNAPSHOT -DserverId=adminmodule
mvn openmrs-sdk:install -DartifactId=webservices.rest -Dversion=2.13 -DserverId=adminmodule
mvn openmrs-sdk:install -DartifactId=uiframework -Dversion=3.6 -DserverId=adminmodule
mvn openmrs-sdk:install -DartifactId=uicommons -Dversion=1.7 -DserverId=adminmodule

Now you can run the server:

mvn openmrs-sdk:run -DserverId=adminmodule

Can you take a look at here and here :slight_smile:

I don’t understand when I am ment to use the mvn openMRS-sdk command? Do I pull down my GIT fork or is it another install process ?

First you want to configure your environment with openmrs-sdk using mvn. Then only you can use mvn openmrs-sdk commands

@oliverv, back in the days I had detailed this for somebody else, see ‘SDK: Help with setting up server using installed MySQL

Hopefully the steps are still current, but keep an eye on the official doc that is referenced in there.

The SDK is a must for Ref App-like distros, but that’s for development or CI, not for production use. At least that was not the intent.

@oliverv did you get an opportunity to look at this? https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/OpenMRS+SDK

@oliverv, could you give a bit of background:

• Why are you installing OpenMRS? To configure and run it? Or to do software development?
  • If it’s to do development: are you intending to build your own add-on module? To modify existing ones? Or modify openmrs-core?

Thanks everyone for your help.

I have the SDK up and running and it’s working well

I just need to work out how to keep it running after I close my putty session??

Thanks Darius … [quote=“darius, post:7, topic:12417”] opment: are you intending to build your own add-on module? To modify existing ones? Or modify openmrs-core? [/quote] Yes I wanting to develop my own solution … probably more just my own modules not the core … why do you ask ?

When skimming the thread I thought I saw you asking “why the SDK” and wanted to make sure it was right for you. But I see I misread your post. Anyway, good that you’re up and running!

(Also, you can just use the SDK to set up the reference application, so as to avoid having to manually install all its modules.)

Thanks Darius … Amy idea how to keep the ask running in the background so that it doesn’t die when I log off putty?

Try putting an & after the command you run to start. Or else while it’s running, do control-z and then the command bg.

Sorry I don’t understand…when I put the & behind the command just stopped halfway through

Darius is right by appending an ampersand ( & ) to the command you want to execute- runs the job in the background, but if you have to interact with the script/command running then it will just stall. Example (final all files that have ‘openmrs’ in it) root@Server:~# find . -name "*openmrs *" &

You can send an already running foreground job to background as explained below:

1. Press ‘CTRL+Z’ which will suspend the current foreground job.

2. Execute bg to make that command to execute in background.

root@Server:~# find . -name “*openmrs *”

root@Server:~# [CTRL-Z]

[2]+ Stopped find . -name “*openmrs *”

root@Server:~# bg

This works better if you are running a server as you can get it all up and running make sure its all tickityboo and then pop it off to the background

You can list out the background jobs with the command root@Server:~# jobs

I hope that helps

1 Like

Thank you so much @oliebolz for sharing! :slight_smile: Do you mind adding this to the documentation here? https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/OpenMRS+SDK

I would if u could log in, my OpenMRS ID is not working for the Wiki - I would have through that it was all one LDAP?

1 Like