Removing Single Page Application (spa) in REF-APP 2.11.0

Mike, I agree with you regarding separating things into (1) and (2). I agree that (2) would allow an implementer to follow the common OpenMRS pathway for making available MF assets. And I think the module as is does this ok though I’d let @bistenes confirm this.

I do think the intention is to find a seamless way of using more contemporary approaches to achieve both (1) and (2). This should be clearer once @florianrappl has the POC to demonstrate.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with what @mseaton and @jdick are saying, that it could be a good mechanism for making deployment easy. It could certainly do that better than it does at present, even.

However I’m definitely open to alternatives that @florianrappl might propose, provided they’re well fleshed out.

1 Like

FYI @sharif - we clarified this topic at the TAC meeting on Friday last week. Here’s what we agreed:

Decision: Remove the SPA module from the RefApp 2.11.0 release.

Why:

• Whether or not we use a module-approach to enable implementations to experiment with microfrontends is still an in-flux-decision. On Thursday at the MFE Squad weekly demo, Florian demo’d an early prototype that supports an alternative way for frontends to be deployed and related to each other. Summary: This approach ties core parts of the framework together; and implementers can download whole MFE in more logical way. We still need to define best practice for working w/ frontends and being able to start using them, instead of via modules that plug in. Idea is loading in OMRS frontends w/ npx; so you’d have the frontend running and be able to pop in your own modules easily. (Goal is lower-barrier way for people to load and start experimenting with Frontends.)
  • We can always add the module to the Add-Ons directory if we end up using the module-based approach in the near future; however, right now there isn’t a plan to maintain the SPA module, so it doesn’t make sense to add it to the Add-Ons directory at the moment until the plan is more clear (so definitely not to the RefApp bundle).
  • That module is not yet vetted enough to know it won’t cause surprising concerns elsewhere (though this is probably unlikely)
  • We need to reduce the scope of this release to allow quality testing

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks alot @grace for this important feedback unfortunately i missed that call, so am going to unbundle it today thanks

2 Likes