Planning Android Client development

@gutkowski, I suggest also taking a look at this thread:

I’d suggest reaching out to @ibewes and also to those listed as the mUzima team, to get a better sense of what their real-world requirements were, and why they chose a different path.

I think that what a real-world implementation desires from a mobile tool is quite different from what the OpenMRS reference application does.

I’d speculate that the biggest use case is what @mksd alludes to: community health workers who might do home visits and provide care outside of the facility. CommCare is a popular solution to this problem. mUzima and OpenSRP also aim to solve it. Maybe OpenMRS should be integrating with existing tools, rather than replicating work they’ve likely already done.

There is a plausible use case (smaller, I think), for viewing patient summaries and charts while walking around a facility, and perhaps leveraging the hardware capabilities of a smartphone to easily add photos, videos, and audio to the patient record. But I would want real implementations to confirm they’d use this before devoting time to this use case.