OpenMRS GSoD 2020

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f0f1cdd7458>

Hi @rainbow,

According to my understanding, FHIR APIs support to export and import data into the OpenMRS in FHIR Resource format, which is an international standard of handling Electronic health records. Currently, there are few API Endpoints which support to retrieve some resources (ex- Patient,Person) in OpenMRS. If you need more information about FHIR, I think my article about FHIR might be helpful to you.

OpenMRS REST APIs support all the CRUD operations which can be applied on any resources in the OpenMRS and that does not use any specific standard to export and import data into the OpenMRS.

Thank you! So FHIR essentially is a standard for translating data, if data needs to be exported to or imported from a system other than OpenMRS ?

Yes.This standard would be really helpful when we need to transfer data between healthcare applications which use same standard to store data. So we don’t need to do any data mapping. As an example Apple uses the FHIR standard inside the iPhone to make the connection between the electronic health records (EHR) and a user’s Health app.

Thanks! Also your installation steps for FHIR is just what I was looking for! Thank you again. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @ibacher,

I think It would be great to add steps of configuring FHIR module locally along with the OpenMRS- Core into the wiki page. Then newcomers can easily setup it. Shall I add them in to the OpenMRS FHIR Module Documentation page?

Thanks.

1 Like

@saurabh @rainbow @uthpala

I would like to suggest you to create a seprate talk thread for the project and continue all the discussion there. Like @kaveeshabaddage does for fhir rest api docs here

5 Likes

@ayesh I thought that we can use this for Extend REST API documentation project. Do we have to create a new thread?

So this is for all the projects normally for GSoC GSoD or even Outreachy we have to create a separate talk thread to talk about the project. For examples :-

https://talk.openmrs.org/t/developing-user-friendly-documentation-for-fhir-api-gsod-2020/28724/2 https://talk.openmrs.org/t/gsoc-2020-improving-openmrs-dhis2-integration/28623/5 https://talk.openmrs.org/t/gsoc-2020-expose-system-metrics-for-monitoring/27106/82

2 Likes

@uthpala ohh yeah,you can go on to create a separate thread as suggested by @ayesh

2 Likes

Thank you @herbert24 and @ayesh. I’ll create a thread :slightly_smiling_face:

Sounds like a great idea to me!

@uthpala please put the url of the thread here :slightly_smiling_face: thank you .

1 Like

The thread for REST API project is here:

2 Likes

hi

This is the thread for Developing Tools and Processes for Maintaining OpenMRS Documentation

1 Like

Thank you @rainbow :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No problem! :slightly_smiling_face:

thanks @rainbow :smiley:

1 Like

@herbert24 @uthpala how do we collaborate on breaking up the how to articles card on trello, maybe on this thread what do you think??

1 Like

Yes, @saurabh First I thought of having a separate thread, but since all participants are here it’s visible to continue discussions here right? What is your opinion @herbert24 ?

1 Like

Great question, @saurabh and @uthpala! I would start a new thread about this since the card is about a more general, community documentation task and not specific to GSoD 2020. I think this thread is meant to be for questions, discussion, and announcements about the GSOD program itself.

2 Likes