Oncology Work Group/Community

Hi everyone! Sorry I have not been responding to this thread but I have been following it and I have had a couple of discussions with @jeffneiman @terry @burke as well as people at @ugandaemr on the subject of oncology functionality in the OpenMRS ecosystem. It is great to see that there are many people interested in this, and that some work is already being done.

@mseaton recently asked if there is any experience interfacing the cancer registration software CanReg with OpenMRS and an unconference session has been proposed to discuss this and other cancer related issues during the OMRS17 in Malawi. For instance, at the recent AORTIC conference in Rwanda, a set of cancer care guidelines were launched after a lot of work by IBM, American Cancer Society (ACS) and Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) consulting with several oncologists in sub-Saharan Africa. These guidelines are a harmonization of the NCCN guidelines met to take into account the low resource situation in Africa. These NCCN Harmonized guidelines for Sub-Saharan Africa can be accessed freely (after signing up) from the NCCN website. Currently IBM wants to make these computer interpretable. Wouldn’t it be nice to work with them to incorporate them into OpenMRS? Looking forward. //Johnblack

1 Like