October 2016 Volunteer of the Month

I’m happy to announce that the community has selected @shekhar as the Volunteer of the Month for October! We are really lucky to have Shekhar working with us. Thank you for your commitment to OpenMRS @shekhar! You will receive the Volunteer of the Month title and icon for use on Talk. :trophy:

We’ve asked him a few questions in order to let everyone get to know some of the great things he’s been doing with the community:

Shekhar Reddy, Tell us a little about your background My name is Shekhar Reddy, I hail from Hyderabad, India. Currently, in my final year of graduation majoring in computer science engineering at Keshav Memorial Institute of Technology, Hyderabad.

When did you start with OpenMRS? It started in mid-January, While I am doing a course on Java as a part of my university curriculum, I started searching for an OpenSource project written in java which led me to know regarding OpenMRS. :openmrs:

How did you get interested in OpenMRS? I started contributing to openmrs-core by solving some issues in JIRA where I got to learn a lot regarding technologies like spring and hibernate. So that was the start… Then I resolved few more issues and written some good proposals for the famous GSoC program and fortunately one of my proposals got selected.

How do you participate in the community (What activities, projects, role, etc)? As a part of GSoC-2016, I have worked on migrating Atlas :map: from Laravel to node under the guidance of Pascal and Jan, where I came to know regarding a few more OpenSource technologies like Nodejs, Angular, etc.

I am currently leading the daily scrum meets in the IRC and helping out newbies on talk.

What are your favorite things to do in your free time? Apart from code, I love playing BasketBall and I am a regional level BasketBall player. :basketball:

What’s your favorite OpenMRS moment or tell us what makes OpenMRS special to you? The community here is very inclusive and encouraging. My favorite OpenMRS moments are the long technical discussions on talk and on PR with @dkayiwa :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Well done @shekhar! Thanks for all your great contributions so far.

2 Likes

Thanks for the continued contributions @shekhar!

By the way I’m very curious about the Atlas project and its current status. Perhaps you can post a followup comment on Atlas 3.0 Project summarizing what work remains until this is ready to replace the current atlas.openmrs.org, and suggesting how other people might contribute to this effort.

PS- I had forgotten you were in Hyderabad; I’m actually here right now, but leaving today. You should meet the Bahmni team that’s based here sometime…I shared this thread with them.

2 Likes

Excellent work @shekhar!!! :smile: Am in a special way blown up by your commitment to leading our scrums! Even when you seem to be on vacation, i suddenly see you pop up to take the lead! :smile:

2 Likes

Congrats @shekhar

2 Likes

congratulations @shekhar hooray :cake: :tada:

2 Likes

Congrats @shekhar!

2 Likes

Congrats and thanks @shekhar!

2 Likes

Congrats and Thanks @shekhar :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thank you all for your kind and encouraging words!!

@darius Sure… I will reply to the thread you have mentioned.

1 Like

congrats @shekhar thanks for all that you are doing!

2 Likes

Ping @shekhar.

I really would like to learn more about this and understand how we can move it forwards, and get this new Atlas version deployed!

2 Likes

Good job @shekhar, I also like that trophy but the winner takes it all. Thanks for the contributions.

2 Likes