My OpenMRS Fellowship Journey: Piumal Rathnayake

As mentioned in my last post, my first task for the month of May was to compare the Jira plugins Xray and Zephyr. I installed and tested both editions of Zephyr on my test Jira instance, and read relevant documentation to come up with my comparison. You can find more information about it here:

Based on my findings, I suggested using Xray as the test management tool for OpenMRS. I also examined the possibility of using Xray with automated tests, such as e2e, unit, and integration tests in OpenMRS3 modules. I discovered that we can use the JUnit test reports to create test execution reports and update test plans on Xray, and we can automate it using GitHub Actions or Bamboo builds. I have posted my findings here:

Given these useful features, Xray will be very helpful for the OpenMRS community. However, we need to identify when and where to use these features in the OpenMRS development process.

During the past two weeks, I worked on several other tasks in addition to my comparison between the Jira plugins Xray and Zephyr.

While going through the contrib-qa-framework repository, I discovered that the web driver versions used in our e2e tests hadn’t been updated recently. Previously, we had been updating them manually whenever a new driver version was released. Instead of manually updating the drivers, I tried setting up a driver management tool that automatically downloads and uses the latest web driver version when running the tests, which was suggested in the Selenium documentation. I tried the tool locally, and it was successful. However, when running the same tests through GitHub actions, some of the test cases were failing randomly. Therefore I need to investigate and address those issues before submitting a pull request.

I also intended to set up a Mock Service Worker (MSW) on the esm-admin-tools repository within this week. However, I couldn’t complete the task due to a dependency issue in the mentioned repository. The admin tools mono repo had been using an older version of the esm-framework. But upgrading the dependencies causes some other errors when running the dev server. To seek a solution, I posted my issue on the openmrs3-helpme Slack channel.

Besides those tasks, @anjisvj and I had our first meetings with our GSoC students. We were delighted to welcome the two highly skilled individuals who were chosen for the two QA-related projects in OpenMRS for GSoC 2023. I’m looking forward to working alongside these talented individuals on their GSoC projects and am excited to see the progress we can make together. We also had a nice onboarding session with all the mentees and mentors on May 5th.

My main tasks for the next two weeks will be fixing the issues mentioned earlier, having discussions regarding selecting a fellowship capstone project, and assisting the GSoC students.

1 Like