jira slow or temporarily unavailable

There are 66k users in OpenMRS JIRA. It’s a huge number, can it affect performance?

1 Like

it does to a point. I don’t know how to explain that part but, if at least around 1k-3k are log-in at then it does impact performance with 1G in JVM.

1 Like

also what DB is used? maybe separating the db to another host might help? just trowing suggestions since I’m not sure what is the budget for any of the solutions or how the infrastructure connects together.

1 Like

DB on another host just opens up a can of worms security wise.

We use mysql.

I’m not sure what you guys do with this add-on’s but, I’ll give my two cents:

Announcer for JIRA - everything done in this plug-in can be done in confluence. The only good part is the banner that you can use to put out messages or other things.

Application Links Link Rendering Plugin - This plug-in is no longer supported https://marketplace.atlassian.com/archive/com.atlassian.linkers.applinks-linkers and I believe this was added into Jira.

Balsamiq Mockups - How much is this used? this can be removed depending on the usage and how helpful it is.

Bitbucket Importer Plugin - This can be removed if you are not expecting any imports to be done soon. Not sure if this part of Jira or just an extra thing. We use Github/Gitlab and have used bitbucket in a while.

JIRA Charting Plugin - this is helpful to have more metrics and other things.

JIRA iCalendar Plugin - this plugin is needed and can break certain things if removed.

JIRA Importers Plugin (JIM) - This one is part of Jira.

maybe we can use this plugin to help with the email problem?

I know theres a Jira plugin that helps with email storms and the way emails are generated but, I can’t remember right now. Anyways this are just suggestions so is up to you guys on what to do.

2 Likes

@chagara, you don’t happen to have a cv do you? I’m beginning to see the value you could add :)or just say what you’ve done and such in a pm?

1 Like

What if we load balanced across servers? Never set this up but willing to learn.

Atlassian did come out with an datacenter version that supports out of the box load balancing and better high availability. https://www.atlassian.com/enterprise/data-center Not sure the cost of it for this situation. Besides this I think having two different regular Jira instances might be a problem with making sure the data its correct and both have the latest( tickets and such). As far as I know Jira can only access one DB. Might be a little more complicated but, it can be research if we do not have options.

Also it would help if Jira gets updated as a log of bugs have been fixed since v6.2.1 but, that would require testing, integration, planning, backup etc etc.

If we had an extra server kicking around I’d start by just moving some apps to the other server, and giving JIRA more memory.

2 Likes

Not sure if you guys seen this but, here are some recommendations from Atlassian. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/troubleshooting-performance-problems-336169888.html

I’m gonna contact Atlassian on Monday.

1 Like

MySQL for relational data and Lucene for index searching. I exported a zip with logs and there is interesting info about slow Lucene queries (taking seconds many of them). I assume there’s a problem here because Lucene should be super fast. I’m not an expert on index servers but at least with Oracle the more RAM you throw at it the faster it goes (because indexes can reside in memory).

3 Likes

They going to tell you the same thing I told you before. This Jira version is too old and they are already on 7.x

Yeah – we need to update our jira/crowd.