How to use the Address Hierarchy Module with the Reference Application

Good morning @mogoodrich. I troubleshooted the Address Hierarchy Module most of the morning.

I looked at the database fields, and noticed the User-Generated Id’s were on the name, and not in the appropriate column. I cleared out the configuration and re-imported the addresses, and got it imported properly. The above errors still persist.

I tried installing/configuring the Address Hierarchy Module on OpenMRS 1.11.4 Standalone, and found the same JavaScript error when adding a patient.

I found a test server that I could upload a module to… http://devtest03.openmrs.org:8080/openmrs

It is running OpenMRS Version: 1.10.2 SNAPSHOT Build 57bdf2. I configured the module basically the same as my other tests. On this server, the address hierarchy works properly when adding a patient.

I think the latest version of Address Hierarchy Module has a compatibility issue with the latest version of OpenMRS Platform 1.11.4. Is anyone successfully running it on this version?

I tried configuring my custom “App”, by copying the json script over to the test server, but address hierarchy didn’t work in my custom Registration app there either. That server has older versions of the Registration modules, so perhaps they were before address hierarchy was supported. I didn’t want to “break” the server, so I didn’t try updating them.

I’d also like to add some next-of-kin fields (person attributes), like the ebola example. I tried copying in those sections of code, and changing the UUID, but that doesn’t work either. My json configuration is… http://pastebin.com/Squ4NfcW

I hope you have a nice weekend.

Hi James, I just did this too, so it’s fresh on top of my head :wink:

In fact the UUIDs that you use for all these "type":"personAttribute" fields must be defined beforehands in Administration \ Person \ Manage Person Attribute Types. For instance the phone one (UUID = 14d4f066-15f5-102d-96e4-000c29c2a5d7) is in there out of the box. I didn’t want to have to configure anything through the admin UI so I added the required ones through our module’s Activator.

P.S. Strangely there is a mother’s name available out of the box, UUID = 8d871d18-c2cc-11de-8d13-0010c6dffd0f .

Sorry, been trying to follow this but i have too much going on! We are using OpenMRS 1.10.x, so I can’t attest to address hierarchy with OpenMRS 1.11.x, but I believe the Bahmni install is running 1.11 with address hierarchy.

As for issue… I’ve afraid I don’t I’ll be able to get much farther on it with a test instance I can take a look at. @arbaughj, I got a little confused with exactly what you were able to install on devtest03 and what worked and what didn’t… are you able to get devtest03 in a state that it can reproduce the issue?

Take care, Mark

Good morning @mogoodrich ,

Thanks for your help with this. I know you’re a busy man. My test of configuring the JSON file for the Registration App didn’t work on devtest03. But, I can’t reproduce the problem on the legacy patient dashboard on devtest03, I went through the same process as I did on my other servers, but it worked (address hierarchy is available on the legacy patient creation screen) on devtest03. That’s what makes me think it’s a compatibility issue with OpenMRS 1.11.4, because it works on devtest03 which is OpenMRS 1.10. To confirm this, I downloaded Version: 1.10.2 Standalone and configured Address Hierarchy. The address Hierarchy worked perfect in the legacy UI. I feel almost certain that it’s a compatibility issue with OpenMRS 1.11.4.

@mksd, which platform are you using? OpenMRS 1.10 or OpenMRS 1.11? Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on adding Person Attributes. It seems like you’re JSON is almost like mine. I just tried to simplify it by just trying the Mother’s name to start. It still doesn’t appear on the Registration App.

For the Reference Application Registration App, it appears my JSON (configured through the UI under Manage Apps) isn’t being used (other than to change the app name). When I remove the JSON code that specifies the address and phone number fields, they still appear in my “custom” Registration App. So, this might be why the address Hierarchy isn’t working in the Registration App. , and why my new sections for Next of Kin aren’t appearing in the app. Could this be the same bug with loading in the JSON that was mentioned here? How to use “manualFields” with a “field/personAddressWithHierarchy” @mksd did you create a ticket for this?

Yep, yes, just testing out the sample you sent me it appears that the Address Hierarchy module integration with the create patient section of the legacy UI is broken in OpenMRS 1.11.x. I don’t know if this would be a priority to fix.

Have we tested if it works within the new patient registration against OpenMRS 1.11.x?

Mark

Hi James, no I was still trying to troubleshoot that one myself when I had time. But I guess it would be better now to report the bug. I have a similar issue here too in the context of the Reg. App:

For info I’m using OpenMRS Platform 1.11.4 and I tried all this with the registrationapp 1.3 and 1.4-SNAPSHOT.

Thanks @mksd for the info. So, my problems must be something not related to the versions.

@mogoodrich, Thanks for your continued assistance.

Aha, good news @arbaughj… I figured out your issue… it was easy (but not at all obvious or well documented).

You correctly disabled both of the existing reigstration apps, and then added your own configuration for a registration app, but, note when you configure it to add a button the home page and specify the url you have:

“url”: “registrationapp/registerPatient.page?appId=referenceapplication.registrationapp.registerPatient”

This is, in essence, still calling the built-in ref app registration app. You need to replace the appId with the appId you specified earlier in the json (registrationapp.registerPatient.wAddHierarchy) so that the registration app module properly picks up your custom configuration.

Take care, Mark

YES! Thank you so much @mogoodrich! It is now showing the things I configured in the json, including Address Hierarchy, and my person attributes!

A few problems…

1. Address Hierarchy goes down as far as District, showing me a list of available options. I can’t get a list of items for the “Address” field unless I choose the “Yon lot peyi”, “-”, “-”, “-”, “Yon lot”. For example, try “Haiti”, “Ouest”, “Tabarre”, “3ème Bellevue”, and there is nothing in the last box. But, it’s configured and works when adding an address to a location. After further research, it’s because of special characters that are in the address name for example; “1ère L’Arbre”. The same is problematic in the other fields above, if you select a name containing special accented characters, it breaks all of the fields below it. Is there a work-around for this other than taking out the accented characters?

2. If I type anything in the “Address 2” field, it is erased as soon as I leave the field. It’s like the “manualFields”: [“address2”] isn’t being observed. This is the same problem @mksd had, right? Nothing is logged, and there are no JavaScript errors for items 1 or 2 above. These items are “show-stoppers”. The rest of these would be “nice to have working”.

3. I don’t see that “shortcutFor”: “address1” in my json does anything. I don’t know exactly what to expect, so I don’t know what I’m missing out on.

4. There is no “Other” option in the hierarchy, even though “addresshierarchy.allowFreetext” is set to “true”. In the legacy UI, choosing “Other” would give a text box to type in free text for something that wasn’t in the hierarchy.

5. It doesn’t appear that it respects the required fields per the address hierarchy configuration. Only one field is required, which is the default for Registration App.

6. Question: Is there an easy way to change the labels for the address fields?

7. My Person Responsible Relationship is configured against a concept, but it appears as a free-text field. Is there a way to specify a list of options rather than the free text field? Perhaps there is another widget that I could use in the place of “fragmentId”: “field/text”.

8. When I click to “Show Contact Info”, the address doesn’t show special characters properly. For example it shows… Haiti, Ouest, Tabarre, 3ème Bellevue.

9. If you click to “Edit” the contact details, it uses the default form found at… appId=referenceapplication.registrationapp.registerPatient …rather than the one I configured. Thus, it doesn’t have the address hierarchy or person attributes. This form also doesn’t properly display the special characters, like item 8 above.

10. The person attributes that I added to the Registration App are not visible, and can’t be edited anywhere in the 2.x UI. I could create an HTML form that could view them, but there is still not a way to update/correct them.

Thank you @mogoodrich for being my hero and getting us SOOOOO far!

1 Like

We’ve had problems with special characters before, but they are working right currently for us, and we have the same hierarchy as you do, so not sure what is happening here. Could be something to do with the type of character encoding you are using? There’s no client-side error that I’m seeing–is there anything in the server logs when searching for special characters.

Going to your server and looking at the underlying HTML generate, it indeed looks like the configuration of “shortcutFor” and “manualFields” aren’t being picked up, which is the same bug that @mksd was seeing and needs to be entered as a bug.

I don’t think that feature been built yet, unfortunately. You might be able to approximate something by making fields not required… but I’m doubtful.

In your address hierarchy admin section of the old UI, all the fields required are listed as “Oui”… this is what the widget derives required from, I believe.

Yes, you need to modify the XML in the global property “layout.address.format”. Change the “value” attribute for each level to the label you want to display.

Not sure if we support coded person attributes yet.

Hmm, this makes me think there’s definitely a character coding decrepency somewhere between tomcat or the database or somethign else?

Gotta run for now, hopefully someone else can weigh in on #9 & #10.

1 Like

@mogoodrich, thank you again for your persistence in assisting us.

1 and 8 and character issues of 9.) Fixed! There was nothing in the server logs about special characters, when searching for them. I manually specified my tomcat to use UTF-8

<connector .... URIEncoding="utf-8" />

That fixed it, and the address hierarchy started working properly (except for the manualFields). Addresses with special characters that were entered previously didn’t start showing up right, but new addresses that were entered after fixing the connector show up properly. Since we’re not in production yet, and will be cleaning out our patients before going live, we’re all set!

2 & 3.) I have created the ticket for the problem loading in the JSON configuration. @mksd, you don’t need to create it. Please place your vote and add any additional details though. It’s here…

My apologies if I created it in the wrong project; feel free to move it to where it belongs.

5.) It should get it from the address hierarchy as you say, but they are all marked as required, but the UI only actually requires one address field. It seems there may be a bug here? Should I create a ticket? And if so, which project? Registration Module or Address Hierarchy Module?

6.) Fixed. I assumed it wasn’t coming from the address template because they were different between French/English. Putting text in the value field as you mention fixes it to exactly what I want! Great job @mogoodrich!

9.) If I manually change the URL to my AppID, it loads my form, and the address hierarchy works and person attributes section is shown and can be edited.

Anyone have any suggestions for #9 or #10?

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Hi James,

Some thoughts from our side:

3.) Thanks for reporting the bug, I upvoted and also commented it.

9.) We will start work ourselves on this within 2 to 3 weeks on our own fork of coreapps, hopefully our changes could be adopted by the community later on. There is a double issue in fact:

1. The "contactInfo" section is automatically picked up by the patient header fragment, but it sticks to the default Registration App’s URL (behind the ‘Edit’ button) rather than understanding that it has been overriden by another instance of the Registration App.

2. In our opinion, the other sections defined via the Registration App’s JSON should also have a ‘quick display’ with an ‘Edit’ button pointing to the ad-hoc section for edition. Or at least it should be easily configurable to obtain that. So the patient header should understand that further sections exists and provide quick displays and links to the relevant GSP to edit them.
    Note that right now, there is no way to even view those sections (at least in the new UI, we never used the legacy one though). The workaround being to design bespoke HFE forms for the registration custom encounter type that allow edition (and hence viewing).

Thanks @mksd for your insight.

I do hope you can share these bug fixes back into the community.

Hi James.

Of course, we are actually starting work on this literally right now. And I’m hoping that we will have made quite some progress by the end of next week.

We will be working on our own fork of coreapps 1.6 and will submit this via a pull request as soon as we have reviewed the code (and unit tests) and tested the omod ‘enough’. I will ping you as soon as we have got something useable for testing, so most likely in the course of next week. We would love to get your feedback then.

Hi James,

We finally have produced a version (1.6.0.1) of coreapps that aims at being consistent with the registrationapp’s configuration on a given OpenMRS instance.

In our version, you can toggle ‘Show/Hide registration Info’:

Our version of coreapps analyses the registrationapp’s configuration and ensures that every section is displayed with its ‘Edit’ hyperlink (and not just the "contactInfo" section as it is done now).

We would love to get other people to test this and provide feedback, and hopefully encourage us to go for a pull request for all of this on coreapps!

There is a limitation though. You will notice on my screenshot that the ‘Edit’ link is missing for the last section: ‘Ethnicity’. This is because, in our registrationapp’s config, this section uses "obs"-type fields. And it turns out that registrationapp’s editSection.gsp (or rather its controller) does not handle that situation. It can handle PersonAddresses and PersonAttributes but not Obs. We prefer, altogether, to conceal the ‘Edit’ button as soon as obs are involved because, to make matters worse, if you leave it, it just behaves as if everything was fine, but nothing gets saved. For now those have to be edited through an HFE form, but at least they display in the patient header with every other sections.

Code here: mekomsolutions/openmrs-module-coreapps

1 Like

Thanks @mksd for your work on this.

Is there any way that you could send me the “omod” so I can try this out?

I believe you should be able to grab it from our CI server, I will send you the link in a private message.

“Disclaimer” This has not been tested much. In fact it has only been tested with our client’s registrationapp’s config. We are really keen on getting bug reports though, before requesting a pull on coreapps.

Remark #1 It is based on coreapps 1.6. That is the coreapps that was shipped with the distro 2.2 (which is the one we are still on). You will most likely not be able to install this on a 2.2+ instance :frowning:

Remark #2 There are other changes than the ones you saw in my screenshot. We have added extension points in two places to allow for customisation of the patient header further. For example, this was requested by our client:

1 Like

Dear @mksd, thank you so much for your work on this! What a wonderful Christmas present. I apologize that I didn’t get time to test this out before now.

As you suspected, it didn’t work with Reference App 2.3.1. I setup a standalone with 2.2, then imported my 2.3.1 database. The address hierarchy last field “broke” when I downgraded, but that was before I added your updated module. I found it to be fully functional on my system, allowing me to edit addresses, with the auto-complete boxes. I also found that I was able to see and edit my custom fields.

The only problem I ran into was with the formatting of the view page when viewing it in French; there is some overlapped text. In English, it wraps the last field to a second line and looks fine. Perhaps if I designed the form in more separate sections like yours it would be prettier.

Also, if the Patient ID stayed on the top line beside the name when the registration info is expanded, that would be prettier.

Please, please please make sure this work gets integrated into the latest versions of the module. If there is anything that I can do to help with this, please let me know.

Hi @arbaughj, nice, thanks for providing feedback! It’s great that you actually tested with i18n using it another language than en-us.

As soon as possible we will upgrade our development platform to the latest Ref App distro, we will then merge all of this into the most recent version of coreapps, solving the problem… and putting us in a position to push this to the community.

I just played a bit with this on my end to reproduce your issues, and I could reproduce both:

1. The ‘Edit’ button/link overlap when it just goes to the line. We have reused the same HTML structure and CSS as what was there before. Basically copying from contactInfoInline.gsp (the one in use if you look at the community sources.) It turns out that another option is out there, burried in coreapps, but not used from what I can see: contactInfo.gsp. Copying from that one would solve the problem but would also imply a visual design change. The ‘Edit’ link would always be in the same right margin, regardless of the amount of data on its left hand side. Like this:

But then the widest line determines where, on the right side, all the ‘Edit’ links will be aligned. It may be impractical in some cases, but the issue you experienced would not occur anymore. However I find that, when using this HTML layout, one tends to click on the wrong ‘Edit’ link as they are not quite aligned with the data they are meant to edit.

2. The patient ID widget not staying at the top. This is trickier and I am not sure exactly why this happens but clearly the existing structure doesn’t quite work in cases when more than the whole width is filled up. I mean it works, but the identifier gets moved down. I think we should live with that one and raise a bug later if that is ok with you.

Although I agree with you that none of the two above should happen, you may indeed be able to simply avoid it all by creating more sections with less data in each section, as you suggested. It seems that you could do something like we did and split your configuration with a ‘contact info’ section and a ‘next of kin’ section. Would that be an option for you?

Thanks again very much for your feedback.

1 Like

That sounds great!

Please let me know when you’re ready for me to test the latest Ref App version.