GSoC 2020: Warm up practices for students

Hello Every one, Google Summer of Code 2020 has been announced officially by Google ,see more details on this talk thread and official site.

GSoC 2020 timeline is as below,

• Jan 14, 2020 - Organization Applications Open
  • Feb 21, 2020 - Organizations Announced
  • Mar 16 - 31, 2020 - Student Application Period
  • May 18 - Aug 10, 2020 - Coding Period
  • Aug 25, 2020 - Results Announced.

As students wait till Feb 21,2020 For OpenMRS to be announced officially as a mentoring organisation , they can start to work on the Warm-up practices for GSoC 2020.

Warm up practics for GSoC 2020

1. If you are new to OpenMRS, spend some time to understand the OpenMRS and its usages around the world.
  2. Install OpenMRS Reference application with modules and get familiar withOpenMRS SDK .
  3. Start to learn about OpenMRS architectures and module development techniques .
  4. Read Developer Guide , Getting Started as a Developer , and ask others in the community if you have questions.
  5. Learn about OpenMRS Pull Request tips , How to send a Good Pull Request and coding standards .
  6. Go through the OpenMRS JIRA , and start to work on some tickets. We preferred to work on #community-priority tickets [Get from OpenMRS JIRA ]
  7. Help to finish the tickets which are waiting for Ref App 2.9 release or Platform releases .
  8. Be active on OpenMRS talk forum, and help others to solve their issues regarding developments, testings, and deployments.
  9. Go through the past projects, and start to contribute those projects
    1. GSoC 2018 Projects list
    2. GSoC 2018 Final Project Submissions
    3. Gsoc 2019 Projects List
    4. Gsoc 2019 Project Submissions
  10. Achieve /dev/1 status. (earn the /dev/null badge and then earn the Smart Developer badge by passing the quiz ).
  11. Do some code reviews . Reviewing code from others is one of the great ways to learn the OpenMRS code base.
  12. Do more and more to live with OpenMRS :smile: Enjoy …!

OpenMRS Projects

1. Java based projects (Few are mentioned here, you can get more from JIRA)
  2. OpenMRS Core
  3. Webservices REST Module
  4. Open Web Apps
  5. Android Client
  6. EMR API
  7. JavaScript-based projects
  8. System Administration OWA
  9. Add On Manager OWA
  10. Built-In Reports OWA
  11. React UI Components
  12. Cohort Builder OWA

Above programming languages are only some examples for most used programming languages for OpenMRS development. OpenMRS uses Java, JavaScript, Angular, React, Gulp, Spring, Hibernate, HTML, CSS, JSP, GSP, MySQL, and so many frameworks and libraries :smile:. Please go around OpenMRS projects to get more about the languages/frameworks/libraries usages.

cc @suthagar23

13 Likes

thanks @mozzy for the updates

1 Like

Thanks for updates @mozzy

1 Like

Thankyou for your updates. I am excited to work with OpenMRS community.

1 Like

Thanks @mozzy

1 Like

Thanks for updates. I would like to work with openMRS community.

1 Like

thank you @mozzy :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the updates

Thanks @mozzy. I would like to try on a ticket soon but I don’t know how to claim one

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:

@insookwa can you take a look at this doc https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Getting+Started+as+a+Developer

look at section 9 , Claim an Issue , its as simple as

• Looking through the Intro tickets
  • The ticket you claim should be in a “Ready For Work” status
  • Simply hit the Claim Issue button

Ensure also to lok at https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Pull+Request+Tips

1 Like

Thank you I will like to work this year with openmrs

1 Like

Good post
I hope I get accepted

1 Like

That’s really helpful and productive.