GSoC 2018 Project/Mentor Brainstorming

Sorry I’m just coming to the thread now.

I am 50-50 on mentoring this year, myself. Some ideas:

1. Further improvements to addons.openmrs.org
    • let users sign up for email updates about specific add-ons
    • highlight most-recently updated module, and most-downloaded modules on the home page
    • tag cloud (or simple list) showing common tags
    • show ratings (from bintray)
    • add support for GitHub Releases
  2. OpenMRS-specific UI improvements for OCL (Jon and I are planning to discuss this on upcoming design forums)
  3. I expect that Bahmni would like to mentor an intern this year to add some feature to the Bahmni product
1 Like

Thanks @dkayiwa @judeniroshan @harsha89 @ayeung for adding project ideas to the wiki page.

@darius (and @paynejd @ball for the OCL project) - based on your suggestions, I’ve added project pages for the following:

Please feel free to add details, objectives, and names of mentors if/when they’re identified.

@ivange94 - I’ve added your project idea here:

Please feel free to add details & objectives to the page. Would you be keen to help mentor that project?

@maimoonak - I haven’t added a page for this yet, as I understand there has been some work done already around the TMM redesign - I’m not sure if this includes adding an OWA, but thought you might be in a better position to add a project page, and define the scope/objectives for a GSoC project based on this?

@burke - thanks for all those suggestions, going through them to try pull a few out into project pages. A few initial thoughts:

• Implement Atlas 2.0: Take the great work on converting Atlas to nodejs, dockerize it, address any blocker issues, and get it into production.

• @cintiadr - I think you had a few concerns with the current Atlas. If they’re relevant, perhaps you could share some of those to feed into the objectives for this project idea?
  • FHIR 3: Update FHIR Module to support FHIR Version 3 resources

• Is this not part of the Sync 2.0 roadmap already? @raff @pgesek @pkornowski (and any others) - any thoughts on whether this could work as a GSoC project, or is this already covered?
1 Like

If it’s not too late I would like to add Attachments 2.0 to the list of projects. There are a bunch of open tickets on the ATT project that more or less represents the work to do to achieve version 2.0.

1 Like

Thanks @mksd, I’ve added a project page for this:

Feel free to add details & expand on the objectives if you have an idea of the set of tickets that would be included. Would you be available to mentor this project?

Thanks @danfuterman for putting this wiki page together! I added bullet points to the objectives.

Yes on the principle, but let’s keep me in the loop closely as this would depend a lot on my workload. When would the mentoring start?

If this happens, @mogoodrich would it be possible for you to be the backup mentor?

Yes yes yes!

I want to make sure that:

• Currently, atlas doesn’t work with the new ID. I want Atlas login to connect straight to ldap.
  • Downloadable images are not working. It would be nice to have that feature again :smiley:
  • I don’t want atlas to load images from external (and arbitrary) pages. I can offer an S3 bucket, I prefer users to upload the images to our system if they want it displayed. Also, it’s important to offer everything in https (no mixed content). Important to note that the image should be verified on its type, we don’t want weird/executable files uploaded (not only by extension, but type too).
  • I’d like all external/user URLs to have “rel=nofollow” (HTML a rel Attribute)
  • I’d like admins to have access to disable/delete anything suspicious.
  • I’d need admins (or certain email) to receive notifications when a new site is added (with the URL and image), so we can action on spammers.
  • We need to make sure it’s not possible to cause javascript injections, even when displaying the image.
2 Likes

For those who may not be on the GSOC mentors list, here we go:

Hi all,

It seems quite a few veteran orgs have 0, or very few, projects listed on their Ideas List for their GSoC Org apps. Some have something like “coming soon” with no actual ideas on their page - this will result in an automatic rejection - please don’t let that be you!

Our team has been reviewing hundreds of applications this week and taking notes and we have noticed MANY orgs that have not completed their lists (have 1-2 ideas or ideas with 1 sentence describing the problem) or say ‘coming in March’, ‘coming soon’, etc. That’s a 'Reject in our book.

We will meet Monday, Jan 29 as a team to start our multi day meetings going through each and every org application together so you have until Monday at 19:00 UTC to get your ideas onto your list. You can always add more ideas later but if you are an Umbrella Org you should have plenty of ideas listed now - and if you are a smaller org you should have 4-5 well developed ideas minimum.

And please don’t just link to a bug tracker. If the bug tracker has extensive descriptions about the project/problem then that can sometimes be fine. But just saying here are 5 things we want worked on and a sentence about each isn’t going to cut it.

If you are an Org Admin I strongly encourage you to go back and look at your Ideas List before Monday at 19:00 UTC and make sure it is representative of what you want us to evaluate.

Every year we have a few orgs who give us bad URLs or don’t give us access permission to see their Project Ideas List. Again, please don’t be that org… (your community will not be happy).

Remember, the #1 thing our team considers when choosing which orgs to accept is the quality of the Project Ideas list. If you have nothing for us to look at we have to reject you.

Please don’t ask us to go and see if your application is okay. If you have a solid Project Ideas List and have read the Defining a Project Ideas list from the Mentor Guide and followed the advice your list is likely good to go.

Best, Stephanie

3 Likes

Thanks for the list, @cintiadr! I’ve created an Atlas 3.1 Project page for GSoC 2018 with the aim of getting the new Atlas into production.

/cc @pascal

2 Likes

I believe we are good now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @mksd, I’ve listed you as the primary mentor - it reflects well on the organization application if project mentors have been identified - but if you find that you won’t be able to fit this in, let me know.

The mentoring timeline is April through August, coding takes place between May and early August. More info on the full timeline and mentor expectations is available on the wiki page.

@ivange94 - @owais.hussain has kindly volunteered as the primary mentor for this project, would you consider being the backup mentor?

I’d like to propose this project for GSoC 2018 “OAuth module enhancements and SMART Apps Integration”

cc @harsha89 @maany

3 Likes

Sorry for the late response. I will mentor unofficially. I always watch the concerned threads and step in when I feel it’s needed. But I am officially mentoring at LibreHealth so may not be able to sign up as mentor for OpenMRS too. But with my experience trying to solve this problem I believe my input will be valuable through out the program.

Thanks for the response @ivange94. To clarify, I won’t list you as backup mentor for the project, but your input during the course of the project would be great, thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

Greetings to all!

My Name is Ajay Ramesh. I am loving this community already! So well organized, so easy to get started. Docs, Docs, and Docs everywhere - pretty amazing. Thanks to GSOC for introducing me to this community.

Me - Software Engineer, MS in CS(IIT, Chicago). Intern in Panasonic, Former SE in Accenture.

Not just for GSOC, even after GSOC, let me make something meaningful to society now.

I am writing a proposal for OAuth module enhancements and SMART apps support.

@mavrk - I am currently understanding the requirement of the project. I have implemented OAuth protocol before using auth0. This project is of my interest and skill. I will get back in a week about my progress.

Cheers,

Ajay

Hi @ajay , this thread is for project and mentor brainstorming. Please start a new thread for the project so we can carry out our discussions there :slight_smile:

And yes, welcome to the community of life savers :smile:

2 Likes

Hi @ajay, welcome to the community. Please refer to the guidelines for interested GSoC students, and note the following point if you’d like to start a new topic to discuss the OAuth GSoC project:

1 Like

@danfuterman - Thank you :slight_smile:

I would like to volunteer as a mentor for Data Integrity Module or Android Client. I hope it’s not too late. :sweat_smile:

cc: @raff, @ssmusoke, @dkayiwa

Hi @shivtej, thanks for offering up your time! There has also been some interest from potential GSoC students on contributing to the Android Client. Do you have a project idea(s) for this that would be appropriate for GSoC:

If so, could you add a project page with details to unassigned projects on the wiki, and let me know. There isn’t much time left to finalise projects for GSoC. Thanks!