GSoC 2016 student introductions

Congratulations and welcome to our selected students for Google Summer of Code 2016!

Students, please introduce yourself in this thread. Specifically, let’s hear the following:

• Where are you from?
  • How far along are you in your education? Where are you currently enrolled?
  • Who’s your mentor and what is your project? What’s your project about in a sentence or two?
  • What’s your IRC or Telegram nickname?
  • What is interesting about OpenMRS to you?
  • Tell us one (or more) interesting or fun fact about yourself!
9 Likes

Thanks @surangak!

My name is Avijit Ghosh. I am from Barrackpore, a small town in West Bengal, India.

I am a second year undergraduate student in the Indian Institute of Tecnology, Kharagpur, India. I am currently pursuing a BTech in Chemical Engineering and an MTech in Financial Engineering (combined program), and also trying to minor in Computer Science. I’ve been developing on Android for 4 years now (mostly for fun), and currently am one of the moderators of the OpenMRS Android Client project on JIRA and GitHub with @raff.

@raff is my mentor and @r0bby is the backup mentor for my project: OpenMRS Android Client. This project is mostly about overhauling the look and feel of the app, and add useful features to it, like detailed graphs and collect usage data via Analytics hook. The main task, however is, to replace the XForms system used in the app with custom runtime generated forms using the Forms REST Api and add offline form saving, to help people where internet connectivity is poor.

I am @AvijitGhosh82 on all Social networks. I do not use IRC a lot because of proxy restrictions, but I am in the IRC channel via Telegram.

OpenMRS is the most exciting org I have ever encountered. The motto “Write Code, Save Lives”, goes on to show how we help humanity directly by contributing code to the society. It might be a small or a big improvement, but the fact that so many developers work for absolutely nothing to help such a noble cause inspires me a lot.

Interesting fact: I can shake my ears. Like a bunny. No, seriously. Also, do not leave an Android device unattended with me for more than half a day, as I will probably root and flash it by the time you return. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s to a wonderful Summer ahead! :blush:

15 Likes

Hi @surangak and all

My name is Ivange Larry Ndumbe, I am from Buea, Cameroon.

I am a 3rd yeah computer engineering student specializing in software engineering at the University of Buea, Cameroon.

My mentor is @teleivo and my backup mentor is @judy and my project is Radiology Reporting Enhancements. This is about building a module to enhance the authoring of a radiology reports.

My irc nick is l4rry and telegram username is @Ivange.

For the time i have spent in the community, I can say that to me everything about OpenMRS that i know of is interesting. Firstly its a project that was created to help save lives. And the motto “Write Code, Save Lives” is so inspiring that i even used it as my watsapp status. Also OpenMRS has a very friendly and helping community, i have learnt a lot since i first joined the community and I am happy i have been given the opportunity to learn more as a GSoC student. I tell my friends in school every day about the a lot of talented guys i chat with while in the community. :slight_smile:

Well interesting stuffs about me… I love coding for fun, and sometimes i even get angry when I hear about drag and drop tools because to me it makes programming to be boring(but ironically i use it a lot :slight_smile: ). I also love making jokes even though sometimes they are funny only in my head.

I am looking forward to a great summer as a 2016 GSoC student with OpenMRS. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Hi Devs,

Nyah Check from Buea, Cameroon.

I am a final year Software Engineering student at the University of Buea. I will be working on the Patient Flags Module Enhancement project which entails adding the RESTful API to the Patient Flags module and making further improvements to it; with the continued mentorship of @pascal.

I’m Ch3ck, on IRC and Nyah Check on Telegram

OpenMRS is an awesome project aims at improving lives in Africa through health care. I want to be part of the solution.

I’m a Chess Player; any peers?

Cheers! Nyah

13 Likes

Hello OpenMRS community,

I am Pralay Ramteke, I am from a small town Bhadrawati in Maharastra, India. Currently, I live in Patna for my Education.

I am currently in sophomore year at IIT Patna. I am pursuing my B.Tech in Computer Science And Engineering.

I will be working on DHISReport DHIS2 WebAPI project. The project mentor is @maurya and Backup Mentor is @jamesm. The project has a main focus on Integrating the DHIS2 Web API with the module and smoothing the process of Metadata transference.

I go by name pralay on IRC and my username on Telegram is @PralayRamteke.

The best part of OpenMRS is its mission of improving healthcare. Being born in developing country India where health care needs great improvement, the mission appeals to me greatly. The most interesting thing about OpenMRS is principles of openness and sharing of ideas which is reflected in weekly meetings,where anyone interested can join and learn more.

Apart from coding , in my free time, I do Modelling and I love to participate in Fashion Shows. I also play the guitar(Acoustic) and like to entertain people with simple melodies.

I am excited to be a part of OpenMRS as a GSoC student. Looking forward to contribute to the project in best of my capacity. :blush:

12 Likes

Hello everyone,

My name is Vishnu Rao and I am from Hyderabad,India.

I am a third year undergraduate student at Keshav Memorial Institute of Technology,pursuing my Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Computer Science Engineering (CSE).

My mentor is @sunbiz and my project is OWA App Store .The main objective of this project is to develop a distribution platform for the OWA’s.

I’m vishnurao on IRC and vishnuraom on Telegram.

OpenMRS has been a great place to enhance my technical abilities and the community has always encouraged newcomers with great patience :slight_smile:. The fruitful discussions on talk are also very interesting.

Apart from coding,I love to travel a lot and I also build PC’s for my friends and family choosing the best configuration.:computer:

Hope to learn a lot this summer.:slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hello everyone, :slight_smile:

I am Shekhar Reddy from Hyderabad,India.

I am a third undergraduate student in Computer Science Engineering :computer: at Keshav Memorial Institute of Technology, Hyderabad.

I will be working on :earth_americas: Atlas Module Enhancements project this summer.:sunny: My mentors are @janflowers and @pascal.
Some of the major enhancements are adding the implementation stats and migrating some of the System performance utilization module features to Atlas.

I’m shekhar on IRC and shekharreddy4 onTelegram.

OpenMRS :openmrs: is a great place to learn and contribute, In the process of resolving few bugs :bug: I’ve got the opportunity to meet some great, supportive people who are very passionate at coding.

Apart from coding I love playing basketball :basketball: :basketball_player: and listening to music :musical_note:

Hoping for a great, progressive :chart_with_upwards_trend: summer ahead :sunny: :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m Shreyans Sheth, a Sophomore year Computer Science Undergraduate at VIT University, Chennai, India. I hail from Pune, fondly known as the ‘Oxford of the East’.

Having been with OpenMRS for the past 4 months or so and actively contributing, I’ve met some amazing people and developers like @michael, @r0bby, @darius , @dkayiwa and @wyclif to name a few, and feel really fortunate to have worked with and learnt from them. A special shoutout to @harsha89 and @maany who really really helped me out at the start. This wouldn’t have been possible without you guys :blush:. I’ve even made some great friends like @pralay and Larry

It’s been an absolutely amazing pre-GSoC period for me, with all those bugs, (brutal) code reviews :stuck_out_tongue: , unit tests and scrums. I’ve learnt just SO much in the past couple of months and intend to do so more this summer :smiley:

My mentors are @maimoonak and @sharonvarghese and I’ll be working on the Cohort Module Enhancements project. My project involves completing integration of the HTML Form Entry Module, Revamping the UI and introducing a couple of new real world use-case features.

OpenMRS by far is the best if not one of the best Open Source Communities out there. We have our very own Bug Tracker, Issue Management System, Talk forum and wiki, all resourceful and very well organized. It’s welcoming to newbies, has some amazingly skilled developers working on it and there’s always some great work going on. The Design and Developer Forums really keep everyone updated on the progress in the community. Though I haven’t been a part of other open source communities yet, OpenMRS sets the bar really really high for it’s counterpart organizations.

I go by the name bholagabbar on most online platforms. bhola translates to innocent and gabbar is the name of one of the vilest antagonists in Hindi Cinema who starred in the cult film, Sholay. Pretty cool huh :wink:

As far as programming is concerned, besides hacking at the OpenMRS codebase, I love solving algorithmic problems and challenges on various websites like CodeChef and CodeForces. Competitive Programming is something I love and take great pleasure in. I’m also in the Top 1000 on CodeChef and have a decent rep of ~600 on StackOverflow.

Besides programming, there are a couple of activities and interests I’ve followed passionately over the years. I’ve been playing the guitar for over 8 years now and have been fortunate to perform at some great locations with my band(s) over the year. Here (1,2,3) are a couple of pictures of my performances. I’m an avid SpeedCuber and have a best time of 20.56 seconds at solving the Rubik’s Cube (here’s the vid). I also play enjoy playing lawn tennis and listening to rock music at preposterous volumes when my roommate isn’t around :slight_smile:

That’s about it! I’m absolutely stoked about GSoC @ OpenMRS and am looking forward to an amazing summer :smiley:

12 Likes

Hi All,

I’m Rasanjana Perera from Colombo, Sri Lanka. I’m a final year undergraduate of Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology(SLIIT).

During this summer I will be working on FHIR Swagger Document generator and enhancements project. The main objective of this project to generate the swagger document for the FHIR REST API and module enhancements to meet with latest FHIR specifications. My primary mentor is @sashrika and backup mentor is @harsha89.

I would like to make this opportunity to thank @suranga and @harsha89 for their guidance and support for working with FHIR tickets. Also all community members who helped me. Finally my mentor @sashrika for his guidance on my proposal.

I can reach on Telegram through Kavinda Rasanjana and IRC through rasanajana93.

I’m really interested on OpenMRS because the amount of service and contribution provided by OpenMRS to have better public health facility around the world invaluable. I was impressed by the articles that mentioned OpenMRS around the world.

With exposure gain through my recent university projects, I started to contribute and love Open Source Software. Excited to work on the project and being a part of OpenMRS community

Thanks, Rasanjana

7 Likes

Hello everyone! My name is Dmytro Trifonov, I am a 5-th (final) year student of Sumy State University, (Sumy, Ukraine). I am studying System Programming

My project: “Overhaul the ID Dashboard user management dashboard”, my primary mentor Robby O’Connor @r0bby.

The main idea of my project is to make own flexible and customizable solution for users management (both for MongoDb and OpenLDAP), which will replace Formage-based solution, which is used now.

I am happy to be a part of OpenMRS community, and to make contributions into developing OpenMRS projects! Last year I started making contributions to OpenMRS community, with my work on OpenMRS SDK 2.X project, during the GSoC2015 program. It was great summer, when I and my mentor @raff done a lot of features and improvements for OpenMRS SDK. After GSoC I’m still working on this project, closing issues and releasing new SDK versions. I enjoyed last summer, when I worked on GSoC project, very much, and I believe, that this summer will be even better :slight_smile:

In addition to programming, I am fond of Light Athletics. I am professional sprinter on 200-400m distances, usually compete for university and regional team.

Thanks, Dmytro

6 Likes

Hi Everyone,

It is my great pleasure that I get to work with OpenMRS HGU project during the summer. My mentor would be @surangak and I will be working with few Sri Lankan doctors namely @hashe85 @niranjn.

I am a final year student of the Department of Computer Science Engineering, Univeristy of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.

The project name is Upgrade Data Collection support for Human Genetics Care. I will be working with The Human Genetics Clinic of the faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo to building a form to input information. This includes integrating/improving a drawing tool which was used for drawing pedigree of patients.

my IRC and Telegram nicknames are akshika47

I have been working with OpenMRS for 3 yeas so far. and it amazes me how we could help people by coding. I am also excited about the team and how they help each other when it comes to problems in development.

Apart from the formal stuff I am in to public speaking as well as innovating products. Apart from that I love music(plays the guitar) and writing songs/raps/poems.

Looking forward for an exciting summer :smiley:

5 Likes

Thanks everyone. We’re looking forward to getting to know all of you this summer, and hope you enjoy working with each other, too!

2 Likes