Free Technical Writing Courses

Having a technical writing webinar or course has come up several times at recent Documentation Team meetings. Through Google Season of Docs, I recently came across information about two, free Google technical writing courses.

Who should take these courses? If you are a software engineer, a computer science student, or have an engineering-adjacent role (such as product manager), then these courses are for you!

What courses are offered? Google is currently offering the following two courses:

To see the learning objectives for each course, click on the respective links above.

Each course consists of the following two parts:

• self-paced online pre-class material
  • 2.5 hour virtual live sessions

When are the next virtual live sessions?

Technical Writing One

• January 27, 2021 at 10pm Kampala| 7pm UTC | 2pm Boston | 11am Seattle
  • February 10, 2021 at 6:30pm Kampala | 3:30pm UTC | 10:30am Boston | 7:30am Seattle

Technical Writing Two

• February 24, 2021 at 10pm Kampala | 7pm UTC | 2pm Boston | 11am Seattle
  • March 26 at 12pm Kampala | 9am UTC | 4am Boston | 1am Seattle

If enough people are interested in doing either course together, I’m happy to organize a sign up sheet and put it on our calendars

@grace @gracebish @herbert24 @jwnasambu @madhens @rainbow

3 Likes

Great find Jen! I’ve been wanting to improve my documentation skills. I’d love to do this in parallel with a group of OMRS folks as you suggest. The time comittment looks very reasonable too:

1 Like

Am interested in the course as well. Thanks Jen for the insight about the program

2 Likes

Thanks @jennifer . I am very much interested.

1 Like

Thanks @jennifer . I am very much interested as well

1 Like

Great! Please take this poll and let me know which sessions you are planning to attend:

Technical Writer One
  • January 27, 2021 at 10pm Kampala| 7pm UTC | 2pm Boston | 11am Seattle
  • February 10, 2021 at 6:30pm Kampala | 3:30pm UTC | 10:30am Boston | 7:30am Seattle

0 voters

Technical Writer Two
  • February 24, 2021 at 10pm Kampala | 7pm UTC | 2pm Boston | 11am Seattle
  • March 26 at 12pm Kampala | 9am UTC | 4am Boston | 1am Seattle

0 voters

I’ll put them on the calendar and post announcements with the details.

That’s awesome that the first live course is tomorrow. @jennifer I have searched through their site and I can’t find a reference to the times or links where we would join the course call or sign up. Where did you find this info?

They post the full list of live courses under Announcements. And apparently, there’s no need to sign up!

1 Like

Technical Writer One

Thanks @kdaud @isamanya for showing interest in this, you can also join us for our documentation calls ,this is the calendar Events & Meetings (OpenMRS Calendar) - Resources - OpenMRS Wiki

1 Like

Thanks @herbert24 .

Thanks @jennifer . This was very helpful.

Some notes/reflections: 2021-01-27: Technical Writing One Session - #6 by grace

1 Like

I could do the February 10 course and either of the Technical Writing Two class dates!

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I am definitely interested in the course and I look forward to taking it.