Drug order: Should the 'Duration' impact the Total Amount when 'Immediately' frequency is selected?

adding more information on the issue. i hope it will give pointers to the possible issue.

I have tried changing the units of the injectables to tablets which gave the correct calculations but on the clinical side it will appear as tablets(of which its not) thus misleading the person dispensing.

THE RESULTS;

On further tinkering, the following units are billing correctly;

i) mls

ii) Tablets

iii) Capsules

iv) IU

v) Drops

ALL THE OTHER UNITS ARE DEFAULTING TO QUANTITY 1 IN ODOO-BILLING.

EXAMPLE OF IMPLEMENTATION REQUIRED;

Example 1:

A doctor prescribes bolus lactate ringers 70mls immediately, the available ringers lactate is 500mls per bottle/unit. the prescription thus should be;

70mls iv stat/immediately quantity 1 bottle/unit.

REASONING; there is no way you can preserve the rest of the 430mls of the remaining RL after giving the 70mls, thus a waste and the patient bears the cost of the whole bottle/unit.

EXAMPLE 2:

a doctor prescribes ceftriaxone 700mg iv twice daily for 3 days. the units available are 1000mg/vial. thus the prescription should read;

ceftriaxone 700mg iv twice daily for 3 days quantity 6 vials/units

REASONING; after the reconstitution of ceftriaxone the required amount is with drawn and the rest is discarded as it cannot be used for the next dosage. that means a new vial every dosing.

If possible please look into the issue. it could be the source of hospital losses. Thank you