Draft of new design OpenMRS Website

At today’s Design Forum I will be talking about the draft of the new OpenMRS website. Everybody is welcome, so join me

(Wednesdays) at 10pm EAT | 7pm UTC | 2pm EST | 11am PST on https://om.rs/zoomdesign. @jennifer @grace @shayyan @burhan99

3 Likes

YES, it is definitely the time to do this! @burke :muscle: :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you @zuzanna! Really looking forward to this session together today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @zuzanna for taking us through Zakra and introducing us to Elementor!

Here are some of the decisions and next steps we discussed:

1. We decided to move ahead with the Zakra template.
  2. We can use the current beta site (hosted by Soldevelo) for now.
  3. It would be great to have create some sub-page templates. Grace agreed to set one up using the Our Technology page content. I agreed to take on the Our Community category. @madhens, your name came up as someone who should be involved in the “Get Involved” category.

Two updates: Circling back to @burke’s suggestion about resurrecting beta.openmrs.org, he suggested that we turn beta into production once we get to a “good enough” point. It might be better to set beta.openmrs.org up and start working there sooner rather than later.

And I want to loop back to this:

Wondering if we want to get the home page, top bars, and menus down a bit more before moving on to specific pages? For instance, one thing that I think we really need to focus on and do well is making sure that our three main target audiences for the website can easily navigate to the content (on the website or our Wiki) that they want to focus on. We might want to consider how Plone and DHIS2 set up their top bars on their landing page to take you directly to developer, community, and foundation resources quickly.

1 Like

Do you mean that menu in the Top Bar? We have something like that

Yes - that’s the kind of top bar I’m referring to. The difference I see is that our top bar consists of our community communication and development tools (for the most part) while the top bars on DHIS2 & Plone’s websites are more oriented to specific audiences: Developer, Community, and Foundation. Click on developer and you go to the Dev Portal or Guide. Click on Foundation and you learn about the entity that supports the community (much like OpenMRS Inc supports the OpenMRS community).

Our landing page should lead with core content that resonates for all of our target audiences upfront - I think that’s why we have impact up first - and then have easy to find buttons or content that speak to our target audiences so that they can quickly go to the content that most interests them.

1 Like

Hi, @zuzanna @jennifer I am sorry I did not get the notification for this and I missed the Wednesday meeting. My friend Shayyan attended the meeting so I will make sure that I will get all updates from him. I will be working with him on this. Also, if we could have a 1:1 meeting that would really help me to define goals.

1 Like

Great work. I like to contribute it

1 Like

@bawanthathilan checkout our design forum calls on our calendar and you are welcome to join in

1 Like

:blush: great. Sure i will join this week from

1 Like

So in terms of goals… Our main goal is to have a website MVP up. When we were working on the new website content, we identified what we thought was the most important content to focus on by highlighting priority areas (in yellow) in our IA.

Tasks for the next two weeks:

• Set up beta.openmrs.org (@burke)
  • Give feedback on and finalize landing page (all)
  • Create templates for sub pages by putting up the Our Technology (Grace) and Who We Are/Community (Jen) pages.
2 Likes

Okay, I agree with you. Probably many of us have saved the links to the talk or GitHub so we don’t have to every time go to OpenMRS website to reach the Github for example. I’ll try to change that and later we can discuss different options.

One more time agree. The landing page will need so much more work than the other sites as it has to be universal for every of our audience. Thanks Jennifer for making this clear.

3 Likes

The next meeting is tomorrow (Wednesdays) at 10pm EAT | 7pm UTC | 2pm EST | 11am PST on https://om.rs/zoomdesign

Everybody who wants to join us or listen to the plans is welcome. @jennifer @grace @burhan99 @bawanthathilan @shayyan

1 Like

@zuzanna @burhan99 @shayyan great to connect with you on today’s call!

For reference, here were the links we were looking at together:

4 Likes

These personas are awesome!

2 Likes

Hi, @zuzanna @grace @jennifer Is it possible if we can move our Wednesday meeting an hour earlier or later. I am free anytime on Wednesday except 2-3:00 pm EST because I have a class during that time.

An hour earlier would be 9pm EAT | 7pm CET | 6pm UTC | 1pm EST | 10am PST. I can do that. @zuzanna? @grace? @shayyan?

1 Like

Fine for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 pm would work for me!

1 Like

Let’s go for 1pm! I posted an announcement with the updated time - and will update our What’s Happening post as well.

1 Like