Data Migration from EMRs to OpenMRS

@johnbosco would you still want to have a discussion next week? kindly confirm in the doodle poll

@dkayiwa, I agree with your suggestion. I find use of excel files standard and can easily be generated from source systems. Also, excel files are easy to validate through excel based checks which one can build. I tested the spreadsheet import module and I was able to import a small number of patient demographics. I, however, had to make a few modifications to make it work on platform 1.12.1. I will continue to test and enhance the module for use on platforms > 1.9.x

@aojwang are you creating a pull request for those changes?

I will definitely do that.

Has anyone thought of using bulk FHIR to export and reimport patient data into OpenMRS? I also wonder whether we should develop a standard API based on something like the OMOP data model which would allow for standard migration of clinical data (with identifiers as opposed to deidentified data). I like the idea of doing more than mapping to standardized terminology (concept dictionary like CIEL) since the information model is as important.

2 Likes

We evaluated this with the Haiti team. But it would require significant development time which was more than their timelines would allow. Do you think this would make a good GSoC project?

Do you have examples of where this has been adopted?

With so many countries needing migration support, it might be worth looking at the effort needed for a generalizable bulk FHIR import tool? @akanter have you done any of this in other projects, or with OpenMRS?

I believe it would make a good GSoC project,it can also be a good project for the upcoming OpenMRS fellowship projects and ideas

Before we digress more, let me come back to the reason why I raised this issue here

Our Blockage. We are not able to return a specific response from the API to the user migrating the data say an error happened.

Am very close to achieving what I want and have more tight deadlines.

Can you just throw an exception?

I tried that already and got the same

@johnbosco can you point me to the line of code where you throw that exception?

I hope this link shows the code.

It is on Git. though am recreating the module right now because some of our modules are making the application take a lot of time to start

Remove the try and catch handler. Let the exception bubble through to the caller.

@johnbosco what did you find after implementing @dkayiwa’s suggestion?

Is there some documentation about how the data migration tools work and how to use them?

@johnbosco do you have any response to this?

I got the same result as before.

We had a documentation we developed during the bootcamp.

Have you committed your changes for me to take a look?