Where can I Setup ICD9 in Bahmni?

I have inserted icd10 in my Bahmni installation as diagnosis concept. Now I have a requirements to input all possible ICD9 in to the concept table.

How can I possibly insert all ICD9 into openmrs and use the values on the Bahmni UI? Do I need to create a new concept class “procedure” ? Or should I treat them as orderable items?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mustafa, Your post raises a lot of concerns for me as a terminologist. We have best practices for concept management (and you can search Talk for the discussions) and this involves not recording administrative codes as concepts. There are medical concepts which have maps to ICD-9 and ICD-10 (and there are different versions and flavors of each of those) and that those maps change over time. The CIEL dictionary includes maps to ICD-10-WHO as part of the release, but does not provide maps to ICD-9-CM or ICD-10-CM (these you can get from www.e-imo.com if you really need to have a license). ICD-10-PCS and v3 of ICD-9 are procedure codes and the same issues apply. Happy to talk more about this.

So If I get this right, I should revert back to the medical concepts, then map each of those concepts to ICD-10 (and ICD-9 once I have them). So once administrative codes changes I will only need to update the mappings or references.

Now for a scenario in a hospital I work for. A patient visits the hospital, a doctor keys in the medical concepts for the patient. Once the patient leaves, there will be other person who’s in charge of converting the medical concepts to the ICD-10.

For setting up ICD-9 I guess I will follow this link Setting up Surgical and other OPD procedures.

My question:

How can the person do the conversion from medical concepts to ICD-10 (in openmrs / Bahmni) ? Or if he doesn’t have to because the medical concepts already map to the ICD-10, can I view these mapped ICD-10 that belongs to the patient somewhere in the patient visit / encounter (openmrs / Bahmni) ?

It matters whether you are talking about coding Diagnoses or Procedures. In outpatient settings, usually the EHR captures the diagnoses/assessments from the provider and there is a direct calculated ICD-10-CM code dropped. Outpatient reimbursement is often related to CPT codes or E&M codes (depending on whether the visit is procedure-related or time-based). CIEL provides maps to ICD-10-WHO and SNOMED CT. In the hospital setting, most billing is done using DRGs which usually require an HIM Professional to review the entire admission and assign both diagnosis and procedure codes (ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS in the US). In those cases the EHR only provides the basic data collection and mapping. Final bill preparation is done in an encoder.

In the hospital setting, most billing is done using DRGs which usually require an HIM Professional to review the entire admission and assign both diagnosis and procedure codes

So how does an HIM Professional review and assign both diagnosis and procedure using OpenMRS ? Which module we are looking at here ?

If this is done outside OpenMRS means I can’t keep track which record has been coded and which is hasn’t.

I don’t know if anyone does this with OpenMRS. Most encoding applications are separate. You would need to ensure that there is an API which would mark the encounter as having been sent to encoding, and perhaps have a link back to the assigned codes/concepts outside of the clinical documentation. For now, most EHRs simply transfer the data (using HL7/Mirth/CCDA, etc.) and record that it has been sent.