What happened to some GSoc projects?

Some projects from the GSoc project list were not assigned to anyone. What happened to those projects?

1 Like

@bejanut Welcome to community! @mozzy I believe you can be of help here.

1 Like

Yeah, I can’t really understand why. But all the same. Good luck to everyone selected. We keep working.

@mozzy mentioned that 14 slots where granted for OMRS, but just 11 was considered actually. I think there might be a mix up somewhere.

Yes, found it rather weird when i found out, that some of the projects didn’t make it to the GSoC project page.

Hi @bejanut!

Thanks for asking this great question.

OpenMRS has a long history with GSoC and over the years, we’ve learned that there are three key ingredients for a successful GSoC projects: 1) the best GSoC projects start with projects that are well-defined; the ones that make it past the finish line also have 2) strong, committed students; and 3) strong, committed mentors with the right experience for the project.

Why are some projects still unassigned? We want everyone involved in GSoC to have a great experience - and some of the projects didn’t have all three magical ingredients in place to make them successful. As a result, we ended up with several unassigned projects.

Read on if you want to know more about how we got to this point:

This year, in addition to our standalone GSoC projects, we decided to try something a little different. We decided to break down a fairly large project (MFE Admin Functions) into smaller sub-projects that a few students could tackle for GSoC. Not only that, we decided that students who were selected for the MFE projects would not only work with their two mentors but also become a member of the MFE squad.

What did we learn from this experiment so far?

• We discovered that students needed more onboarding to Microfrontends than we anticipated.
  • We learned that our MFE projects needed to be better defined
  • We had a hard time identifying enough mentors who know microfrontends and the admin functionality requirements for all of the MFE projects.

What this meant for GSoC 2021

The good news?

• We had over 35 students apply for our GSoC 2021 projects.
  • We accepted the majority of GSoC projects this year: a total of 11.
  • This has led us to prioritize and start work on a “Getting Started Guide for Microfrontends” - and this will be the sample guide featured in our Google Season of Docs 2021 project.

The bad news?

• Since we can only accept one student per project, we knew from the start that we wouldn’t be able to accept all 35 student proposals. We estimated that we would be able to accept between 11 and 15 projects, and Google “assigned” us 14 slots based on this estimation.
  • We had to put some of the MFE projects on hold this year because we didn’t have that magical combination of talented student, strong mentor with the right experience, or the project definition wasn’t quite there.

Like I said, we want our GSoC students, mentors, and now squads to have the best experience possible. And as much as we hate putting these projects on hold this year, we felt that it was better to take them off the table now instead of letting students and mentors struggle with them over the next few months and ending up with a poor GSoC (and OpenMRS) experience.

We’re looking forward to seeing great work come out of GSoC in 2021 - and re-visiting these tabled projects later on to see what we can do to make them a better fit for GSoC, a post-GSoC project, or perhaps a fellowship.

9 Likes

@jennifer Thank you for the Clarification.

Thank you for the clarification!

Thanks for the clarification.