What can I change to increase Openmrs speed?

I am using openmrs 2.2.1 on ubuntu server 16.04 LTS with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB hard disk. To avoid heap size issues of out of memory I have increase these memory specifications: JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx8192M -Xms8192M -XX:PermSize=2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=2048m -XX:NewSize=1024m". I have attach image of the modules available. but with these specifications the users are still complaining that openmrs is slow and this is a new virtual server. What can I change to improve the speed?

1 Like

Did the speed problem start to happen after an upgrade, or some other event?

The speed problem started after upgrading from openmrs 2.0.6 to 2.2.1. But also I did move openmrs to a different server before upgrading.

What is the value of the setting named search.caseSensitiveDatabaseStringComparison?

The value for setting search.caseSensitiveDatabaseStringComparison is “true”.

Change it to false and restart tomcat.

Ok I see improvement in speed but I will give you feedback tomorrow after testing it with multiple users.

1 Like

So apparently when there are few users like less than five the system speed is fine but when there are more users it starts to become slow. The users do not exceed 20 using the system at the same time and they not using cohort builder or reporting module. I was planning to start to create reports using reporting module. I don’t know how the system would work?

Before the upgrade, were you able to use the 20 users without the system becoming slow?

Those users were using openmrs before upgrading without it becoming slow but it was on a different server. The server we are using now I just move the old version of openmrs here and upgrade it.

So it could simply be an issue with the new server?

Yes. But I am still wondering why because it has bigger capacity than the old server?

You could be having a different MySQL database configuration.

Mysql configuration can make openmrs slow?