Trying & Testing Reporting Module

Hello fellow OpenMRS devs,

I’ve assigned myself my first introductory ticket, which is related to the reporting module.

To understand what is actually going on, I though it would be good to first get a glimpse of the interaction with the system and so I booted it up and tried to play around with it. Since the Reporting UI for the reference application does not really offer what I need to configure some data and try the module, I used the legacy UI from the admin screen. The problem here is, that apparently it needs the logic module to run, which is deprecated and also refuses to start up if I download it on a 2.X Reference Application. One example I just encountered is that I can’t create a standard Row-per-Patient Report because of the missing logic module.

What is the best way to try out and test the reporting module and changes on it (apart from unit tests) with the current state of the Reference Application?

Edit: When I try to create a custom report e.g. via a SQL query that works on my server’s database I get: type Exception reportmessage Request processing failed; nested exception is org.openmrs.module.reporting.evaluation.EvaluationException: Failed to evaluate Error evaluating because:description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.exception org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Request processing failed; nested exception is org.openmrs.module.reporting.evaluation.EvaluationException: Failed to evaluate Error evaluating because: null

Which exact version of the reference application are you using? 2.6? The logic module is no longer required. Can you paste the tomcat log full stack trace at pastebin.com for us to see what is going on?

I did take a look and I have the referenceapplication-2.6-SNAPSHOT.omod in my testserver’s omods.

I couldn’t find my tomcat logs for some reason. Is it in a special location, since it seems to use a tomcat bundled with OpenMRS? Been also searching for catalina.out without results. This is what I can get without the full logs:

The error stacktrace when trying to create a standard row-per-patient report can be found here https://pastebin.com/mzSNFi0U.

The second one, when creating a custom report via SQL query and then pressing “Preview” on the query: https://pastebin.com/mah7mwL5

@flobue, this is a known issue. See:

@mseaton But are both of my issues related to this? I can see the first one is.

@flobue, no the second is not. For the second, perhaps you need to save before you preview?

@mseaton That actually fixed it, thanks! It is kind of unexpected behaviour though, I would normally press preview before saving because I assume saving would redirect me further.