Requesting an OpenMRS "crash course" for new implementers

Hi everyone,

Two months ago I came across openMRS while I was looking for reliable MR system. I spent good time playing around with the latest version of the system, reading wiki, catching up with openMRS uni videos, and reading most of the discussions here. However, I still feel that I am still behind or maybe I have some misunderstanding of some concepts. There are good number of questions I have about the system; dumping all in this forum isn’t a good idea I think. I am looking for help on skype or something from someone with a good experience with system. I am not sure how long it will take but maybe few hours a week until I have good understanding of openMRS. I am welling to pay for the help as I feel I have so many questions, need suggestions and guidance.

Anyone can help or suggest something is appreciated

Ali

Hi Ali,

Can you get in touch with Matthew to arrange university calls around some of the things you are asking? https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/RES/OpenMRS+University

1 Like

Me too. I need this crash course. I passed a few times at the university but no one was there.

Thank you, I will try to get in touch with him

Hi all , I am also interested in this training . I am having problems in installing OpenMRS , of the past two weeks I am battling to get it work. I have followed all the steps , but I cant get it to work.

So Ali and the rest, now that Matthew is listening, feel free to push him to organize these university calls based on your needs. We would love to switch to a model where it is not Matthew (or whoever else leads the call) to choose the topics, but rather the people in need of these calls. :slight_smile:

After you have got comfortable with how these calls are led, you are encouraged to also lead them as much as you are available. That way we create more Matthews. :slight_smile:

Hi all Please get in-touch with me so that i can organize these calls based on your needs

1 Like

I faced the same thing at the beginning. It took me a while to get it working. My best approach was using virtual machines and start from the beginning whenever something goes wrong. Now, I can easily start openMRS on Linux Debian 6 and 8. However, in your case I see you having trouble on windows and the JDK which I am not experience with yet; hopefully someone will help.

Thank you for the support Daniel :smile: I hope these uni calls will help all of us

Thank you Matthew for your support. One reason I asked for this call is that the wiki is a little bit outdated. Sometimes I find myself following the wiki exactly step by step but cannot get the expected result. Anyway, I will prepare my questions and topics, send to you to arrange the calls.

Looking forward to starting the calls

p.s. just knew I should’ve combined all my post into one :sweat:

1 Like

So basically, I was interested in the new interface (openMRS 2). After I tried it with demo data, I tried to install with no demo data then add users, locations, etc from scratch. However, I wasn’t able to get it running. So one point here, what do I need to do if not using demo data to get the basic functionality. One confusing thing is the different location I have to choose from before login, I couldn’t see any differences no matter what location I choose. Also, I needed to change person name format from 3 names to 4. I ended up defining a new name format using (first, middle, family prefix, family). However, this new format does not appear in the new interface. Also, when entering 4 names in old interface in one input field, it spits the name into wrong order in the next screen (family then family prefix) and I cannot change which field is required. Another thing is that “Use Patient Attribute” in “settings” does not reflect on patient information page. Also in “settings” I can see “Drug Order” but cannot see this anywhere else. Lastly, I noticed the toast message that appears top-right of the new interface has (white or transparent) background which makes it hard to read notifications. I tried to fix that and I ended up changing different css files manually.

As you can see, I have multiple issues in different categories. If I can get some guidance on how to deal with such doubts I think I can find my way learning quickly.

I appreciate your help and support

I am glad (and sad!) to see that other people are having the same experience I am having! I’ve lost count of the different articles/videos/just-common-sense ideas I have tried! Many articles sing the praises of the standalone, but that is “not for production use”. Or is it? Nothing explains what the fundamental difference is and what specific limitations there are. I have (sort of) successfully implemented

Platform 1.11.3 WAR (for Enterprise)

57.8 MB at sourceforge.net · Released 22-May-2015 Multi-platform Java webapp · Release Notes

Recommended for advanced users using OpenMRS in production.

with the OpenMRS 2.2 zipped modules. I have a few memory leaks and one permissions problem that may be effecting the patient relationship module (it won’t stay enabled). I’m not sure if I need to adjust my expectations or keep trying. There are MANY conflicting statements as to what version of Java and Tomcat are required. I greatly appreciate all the past and ongoing effort the community has put into this brilliant application - it’s simply life changing for so many. I just wish I could get a stable version running so I can begin configuring the system. I will be in Bangladesh for go live and training Dec. 4…

@hope and others, I feel that we need to discuss more specific and bite-sized pieces to help you out with the challenges you are facing. It is always better if you can create separate topics that are specific and bite-sized, so that we can wrap our heads around what you are asking.

I don’t think that standalone should be implemented for production use, although the page says this “Before you choose the standalone, be aware that we are still gaining experience with this version in production environments”. This is my personal opinion and it is for two reasons: You should use a separate database that can be configured for scalability. This can in fact be configured in the standalone, but out-of-the-box it uses an embedded database. With an external database it is easier to back up, replicate and apply database engine specific optimizations. The second reason is that most instructions for the standalone assume a GUI environment. This is because the standalone has an application menu using which you can control the system. I recommend that servers should not have a GUI and save the resources that are wasted on a GUI environment of the OS. Thus, I recommend that you use a standalone tomcat.

We are planning different kinds of tutorials for the upcoming OpenMRS Summit in Dec, as you can see in this thread -

The DevOps and Deployment bootcamp could cover these and deployment best practices. We are still not sure if there is enough interest to run such a tutorial based on the limited feedback we’ve on that thread.

3 Likes

Though, I must add that if you are small clinic or a single physician wanting to use OpenMRS on your local machine, the standalone is a perfect way to deploy it. So again, these strategies are very specific to your requirements and what you want to get out of OpenMRS. If you can specify you requirements and your challenges, there are plenty of people in the community who will work with you to help you out.

Thank you very much for your response. I agree that smaller, bite size, pieces make sense, but when you are doing an initial implementation, and you want a production ready environment, you really need all the pieces in one place. Right now that is occurring in multiple places, with conflicting and out of date information. I am happy to update the documentation for installing on linux tomcat, including information on the free ec2 tier suggest ami, if I can confirm the recommendations. I have a fairly stable environment at the moment and am loading the modules.

Java 1.7.0.79

Tomcat 7.0.52

Gave permissions to an .OpenMRS folder, increased Java memory

1 Like