Quick comment about the OpenMRS manual installation (openmrs-core)

Hello,

I just wanted to comment about the OpenMRS manual installation.

I had a failing test when running ‘mvn clean install’

in: org.openmrs.validator.ObsValidatorTest#validate_shouldNotValidateAVoidedChildObs On line 475, the assertion fails. I had to, temporarily, disable it in order to build.

Also, If you use a docker container for MySQL, it’s preferable to create yourself, beforehand, a database and database user; then choose the ‘Advanced’ installation and specify your user and database.

You can, if you want, name them as the default installation would have: ‘database: openmrs, user: openmrs_user’.

The reason being, the installer, when creating the user, specifies that the database user will connect from ‘localhost’.

The installer probably uses a statement like: “GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON database_name.* TO ‘username’@‘localhost’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘password’;”

The problem is when the installer then tries to create tables. For example, if your IP address, from the viewpoint of your docker container, is ‘172.17.0.1’, the installer gets “Access denied for ‘username’@‘172.17.0.1’…”.

That generates an exception and the installation fails.

Instead, create the user yourself and use a statement like: “GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON database_name.* TO ‘username’@’%’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘password’;”.

That’s less secure however that ‘can do’ for your local install using a container running on your own machine.

Then, as stated above, choose the ‘Advanced’ installation.

(After not having been able to find the time for so long, I can’t wait to play with it now :slight_smile: )

This may be of help https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Step+by+Step+Installation+for+Developers

@s4mmy are you still blocked by the installation?

I’ve never been blocked; as I say in the comment, I successfully installed the App. It was a simple comment for those who ran into the same issue.

1 Like

It simply a comment for knowledge sharing; as I mentioned, I installed the App.

1 Like