Poll: #MOZ15 Hackathon

Are you attending the OpenMRS Hackathon on 31-January & 1-February immediately following #MOZ15? If so, this topic is for you!

@wyclif has agreed to coordinate the hackathon; however, for the hackathon to be a success, it should be maximally useful to the participants. So, we need to hear from everyone attending.

1. Please answer this question:

Which of the following describes you best?

• I’m a newbie to OpenMRS and have little coding experience.
  • I’m a reasonably good coder, but new to OpenMRS.
  • I’m an experienced coder without much OpenMRS development experience.
  • I’m a good coder with some OpenMRS development experience.
  • I’ve been developing in OpenMRS enough to teach others.
  • I’m not a coder, but have domain expertise with OpenMRS.
  • I’m an exception. None of the above apply and I’ll describe my situation in a comment below.

2. Please help us decide on theme, goal, and/or format for the hackathon by adding a comment below.

We’ve had several good suggestions, including:

• Everyone works on a DHIS-OpenMRS integration module
  • Everyone works to build concept management module in OpenMRS 2.1.
  • Everyone works on an improvement to Modulus or small teams compete on adding new features.
  • Everyone works on improving a pharmacy module or small teams compete to add a new feature to an existing pharmacy module.
  • Small teams compete on building a new OpenMRS 2 module.
  • Everyone work on their own stuff

Some of our more productive hackathons have been when small teams are having a fun competition with some simple ground rules; however, the hackathon will be most effective if it is designed to meet the goals of the participants. Keep in mind this is just two days of hacking, so things that are unlikely to get done it a “day” of hacking are less fitting (it’s always more fun to actually complete something during the hackathon).

So, what do you want to get out of the hackathon? Are there specific things you want to learn? Do any of the ideas above sound good or do you have another idea for the hackathon?

Please add a comment below and let us know what you think. This is your event, so don’t be afraid to speak up. We are all your friends and just want to have fun hacking together!

1 Like

Hackathon could focus on Ebola response or easy-implementation (aka “shrink wrap”) OpenMRS.

1 Like

Everyone works on a DHIS-OpenMRS integration module Everyone works to build concept management module in OpenMRS 2.1.

Everyone works on a DHIS-OpenMRS integration module Everyone works to build concept management module in OpenMRS 2.1. Everyone works on improving a pharmacy module or small teams compete to add a new feature to an existing pharmacy module.