OpenMRS Swing Frontend

eeeh…Swing almost dead??

@jaks80 like all skilled Devs up here have said,it’s alot of work duplicating work done by hundreds done in 10 years,you’d run crazy.But i must say part of my problem has been answered by this thread.If you insist using swing UI you could take a look at this http://www.webswing.org/#!/home

JavaFX was the replacement of Swing, and it has not much traction either.

There is a little hack available as the a proof of concept for a Swing application which uses the OpenMRS REST API for its business logic:

http://svn.openmrs.org/openmrs-contrib/examples/webservices/hackyswingexample/

Today I also had the idea of building an application like this, just with Java SWT. Unfortunately, there is no SDK for the REST API of OpenMRS yet. So I am also not sure if going this route is a good idea. However, it sounds very interesting as in this way it could be possible to streamline the UI according to the hospital’s needs and still benefit from those ten years of effort which went into OpenMRS.

Hi @janux,

Are you talking in the context of Bahmni, and if yes, have you tried Bahmni Connect? … and if yes, why didn’t it suit your needs?

I’m asking because we intend to use it but haven’t got down to actually trying it yet.

Hello Dimitri,

No, I think the subject of this thread has nothing to do with Bahmni.

@mksd

This thread was to implement a swing client of openmrs. Swing client would consume rest api of openmrs. Swing suppose to be only for

1. Patient medical history, prescription, diagnoses, vitals etc
  2. Registration, Appointment Scheduling etc
  3. Attaching any device like fingerprint, chip and pin reader, any other medical devices.

All the administration and settings remain as web application.

Yes I know, sorry for confusing the thread. I was asking because I could see that @janux was busy with Bahmni, and I started to wonder why in that context the existing Android solution would not suffice.

You can discard my questions :wink:

1 Like

By The way, a full featured rest api would have been really nice so client application could have been developed using any kind of technology, even using any other programming language.

What is it about the current status of the REST API that prevents this?

This is for example what Bahmni EMR is: an Angular app consuming the REST API of the OpenMRS back-end. Of course Bahmni adds a bunch of custom resources through its Bahmni Core module, and perhaps that some of them should belong to REST WS ; but roughly speaking the state of things is good enough.

From my experience the sort of discussion that we are currently having here may benefit a wider audience. And so I would rather avoid taking privately such topic, but feel free to keep asking questions or open new threads.

Please ask then, but depending on the nature of your question(s) I may ask you to get back to the public ‘channels’.

hi jaks80 can you please tell me, whether we fetch icd10 and snomed-ct info by using codeigniter web service?

You can either private message me here on Talk, or I’m usually on IRC as well, on channel # openmrs on Freenode. (I don’t really have an opinion, I think you can just leave this thread as it is.)

I am pretty new here and have not much idea about web services. May be @mksd can answer.

yup thanks for reply

please tell if there is any scope for codeigniter web services for OpenMRS

I quickly Googled ‘codeigniter web services’ and it doesn’t refer to anything palpable. Codeigniter on the other hand seems to be a development framework. I’m not going to dig into it, but the only thing I can tell you is that the OpenMRS Platform ships with a pretty exhaustive REST API.

I don’t know from where you are going to reach the REST API, but as long as you are doing it from a place that lets you do it, it will work. The only thing I can tell you with the information that you provide is: yes, OpenMRS provides a RESTful API.

@mksd can you tell me the links of OpenMRS RESTful api? actually i got the links but little bit confuse

What ‘links’ did you get, where did you get them, and what is it that confuses you?

Did you look at this for a start: ‘REST Web Services API For Clients’ ?