OpenMRS SDK Fail to Start Server Reporting Wrong Java Version

So apparently I have java 11 on my machine among others. I run mvn openmrs-sdk:run -DserverId=myServer (myServer a reference application 2.8.0 which runs on platform 2.1.3). This doesn’t start reporting the culprit being java 1.8.0. Upon examining the java version I realize I am on Java 11. When I switched to java 1.8. it works like charm. So, this is simply an information that might help someone else also maybe it should be fixed.

Associated stack trace is below.

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.openmrs.maven.plugins:openmrs-sdk-maven-plugin:3.13.2:run-tomcat (default-cli) on project standalone-pom: The JDK JDK 1.8 is not compatible with OpenMRS Platform 2.1.3. -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute goal org.openmrs.maven.plugins:openmrs-sdk-maven-plugin:3.13.2:run-tomcat (default-cli) on project standalone-pom: The JDK JDK 1.8 is not compatible with OpenMRS Platform 2.1.3.
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:213)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:154)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:146)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:117)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:81)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.builder.singlethreaded.SingleThreadedBuilder.build(SingleThreadedBuilder.java:51)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:128)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:309)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:194)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:107)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.execute(MavenCli.java:993)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.doMain(MavenCli.java:345)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:191)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:289)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:229)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:415)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:356)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: The JDK JDK 1.8 is not compatible with OpenMRS Platform 2.1.3.
	at org.openmrs.maven.plugins.RunTomcat.execute(RunTomcat.java:112)
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:134)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:208)
	... 20 more
[ERROR]
[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoExecutionException

Did you have a chance to look at the release notes for Reference Application 2.8.0 on this link?

@willa this looks like a bug and thanks for sharing it. Did you happen to create a ticket for it? :slight_smile:

true,openmrs runs well on java 8

There is a ticket here to resolve this error. @willa could you attend to it?