OpenMRS Leadership Team Call 2017-06-08

Wasn’t there supposed to be work to fix this. Dating back to when I was constantly nagging all of you to do this? There was actually a period of time before I became bitter and jaded that I would have taken the job.

Also, considering Bahmni benefits greatly from using OpenMRS Talk and not deploying their own instance of Discourse, it seems only fair that Thoughtworks toss some money towards OpenMRS, Inc to fund the infrastructure team that maintains the infrastructure they rely on. That seems an awful lot like mooching to me. Thoughtworks is getting an awful lot for free. Maintaining infrastructure on a volunteer basis isn’t easy and burns you out quickly. People should be compensated and Thoughtworks should pull their weight. Thoughtworks has money and I’m sure they could set aside and donate money towards infrastructure and helping to compensate the people who currently work unpaid and on a volunteer basis so they have their support forums. I have no idea how people don’t have an issue with this – infrastructure funding should come in part from them.

There is literally no excuse that I can muster…granted @swathivarkala is helping out on the infrastructure team but that’s not good enough – they need to actually put money towards the infrastructure team budget – considering that they benefit greatly from using OpenMRS Infrastructure, they should fund it – or at least help out. Organizations like Partners in Health can also probably afford to chip in as well.

The problem as I see it is that it’s not public that the funding is needed for infrastructure costs – and don’t just pay them cheaply – pay them market rate. People should be funded so that they can focus on keeping the lights on(I don’t want this job) and have incentives to actually wake up at 2am if something goes down.