OpenMRS Leadership Team Call 2016-07-28

Hi All,

We have a leadership call scheduled for this Thursday, July 28 @ 4pm UTC (12pm ET). If you normally attend but can not this week please let me know. Also if there are any additional topics or updates you would like to see on this agenda or a future agenda please let me know.



  • Strategic goal update: #2 - Reference Application - @hamish
  • Help desk process documentation - @maurya


  • Events (Summit & Uganda Implementers Meeting)
  • Looking for a Town Hall Facilitator for Sept 14 (9am ET and 8pm ET)

Parking Lot Items

  • Recurring current finances
  • Recurring fundraising
  • Recurring governance structure
  • Org Chart Review -
  • Naming for the reference application (due to proposed changes)
  • Review Communications Tools
  • Review mission, vision and values -
  • OSCON 2017 Brainstorming (Dec 2015 Brainstorm for May 8-11, 2017)
  • Partnerships
  • Infrastructure Update (Quarterly - Jun, Sep, Dec)
  • Procedure for new volunteers
  • Parternships
  • Fiscal Health (501c3, budget)
  • Strategic Goal Updates (every six weeks)


If members from the community would like to see a specific agenda item added to the topic queue or would like to join an upcoming leadership call please reach out to @jthomas

I made some small edits to @maurya’s document on the wiki - the ITSM stuff doesn’t need to be documented – some of it exists solely so I’m not overwhelmed with cases from our monitoring systems, email bounces and so forth. Others exist to automatically triage things for me. Unless you’re on the ITSM team – you won’t see our filters, we have them hidden.

@r0bby, we want to have documentation both for on-boarding & ongoing support of both general help desk processes and ITSM. Bringing someone on to the ITSM team and ensuring they know what to do shouldn’t solely be word of mouth or ad hoc. I understand this…but a lot of that was added for my own sanity. We have internal documentation :slight_smile:

Perhaps document the helpdesk based on Role. Showing it all doesn’t really make sense. I read the wiki page, some of it was really winged and some of it was wrong. A handful of the filters I made are for my own ease of use. Things I didn’t really care about (E-mail bounces, IT Service monitoring emails) and then an easy way to see at a glance what needed to be done. We maintain documentation (as I said) in our Google Drive folder. Desk has resources to train people to use it. It’s not hard.

Have you considered using Saleforce’s guides – all we did is add Filters.

I think @maurya was just starting out with documenting what we have to get things started.

I think that’s where Maurya was heading.

  • Background (overview of how OpenMRS provides community support)
  • Code of Conduct (we’re all in this together, be courteous & respectful, be sensitive to different cultures & languages, etc.)
  • What are the ways to contribute to help desk support?
  • How to get started as an OpenMRS Guide to help new community volunteers (e.g. pairing with a guide, how typical tasks are handled, etc.)
  • How to get started with helping Tier 1 support (where to find getting started materials, who to talk to, etc.)
  • How can I contribute to infrastructure support? (links to ITSM documentation)

Using Google drive to document ITSM materials is fine (e.g., it doesn’t help to have the documentation on how to reboot the wiki in the wiki). Adding to this documentation to include onboarding materials along with lessons you can teach to Pascal & Maurya on how to provide IT support will help us expand the number of people who can help.

  • What can someone new do today or tomorrow to help with ITSM?
  • What’s involved in providing Tier 1 support? What skills are needed?
  • What’s involved in taking pager duty? What skills are needed? Expectations? Where to find docs on how to handle typical tasks?
  • How can someone help support specific application(s) (wiki, jira, bamboo, ID, modulus, etherpad, etc.)?

If we can get a few more hands on deck to help with basic infrastructure support, it could free us up to tackle some of the higher level tasks (patching operating systems, upgrading applications, fixing bugs, preparations to migrate from IU XSEDE to Jetstream, etc.)

If people need to learn how to use, existing docs can help. I don’t think that’s the primary issue, though; rather, it’s trying to understand how we’re using – i.e., the roles, as you mention, along with where/how to get started in helping.

My point here is that he should ask questions, not guess. He didn’t communicate AT ALL. Also, nobody can support etherpad, OSUOSL runs that.

We can put high-level on the wiki but the bulk of our documentation lives in the Google Drive folder. I dislike Confluence a lot.

Is this something else you forgot to tell us about? That we actually have the resources assigned to us?

@r0bby, I am working to get access to Jetstream. And I would appreciate if you would stop insulting me with every comment.


I apologize @burke :heart:

1 Like