Not seeing OpenMRS version number after building and deploying

I downloaded, built and deployed openmrs-core (using git, maven and jetty), then initialized the application using the web interface. After the initialization process was complete, the application header displayed ‘OpenMRS Platform ${project.version}.${revisionNumber} Running!’

I found several references to the ${project.version} and ${revisionNumber} properties in the project’s pom.xml file, but I couldn’t find the definitions for these properties, nor could I find a reference to a parent pom. I also couldn’t find a properties file in the openmrs-core project containing a definition for ${project.version} or ${revisionNumber}.

The cosmetic issue of the header is not important, but I’ve been getting related errors when I try to load the legacyui module:

WARN - ModuleFactory.startModuleInternal(829) |2017-04-04 10:00:22,227| Error while trying to start module: legacyui org.openmrs.module.ModuleException: Module requires version matching 2.0.0. Current code version is ${parsedVersion.majorVersion}.${parsedVersion.minorVersion}.${parsedVersion.incrementalVersion}-${revisionNumber} at org.openmrs.module.ModuleUtil.checkRequiredVersion(ModuleUtil.java:402) at org.openmrs.module.ModuleFactory.startModuleInternal(ModuleFactory.java:682) at org.openmrs.api.context.Daemon$1.run(Daemon.java:74)

Am I missing a build step? I’m building on Ubuntu 16.04 using maven, using the mvn jetty:run task for deployment, and viewing the application using Chrome. My openmrs-core version, pulled from github, is bdc81ac (Apr 2, 2017), and my openmrs-module-legacyui version, also pulled from github, is 536d74b (Mar 28, 2017).

In my experience this happens occasionally when I build from source, and I have no idea why.

I solve it by just doing another mvn clean install.

(Or, if I’m not actively doing work on openmrs-core, I wouldn’t have built openmrs-core, but instead I’d download a binary. For development I’d do this with the OpenMRS SDK.)

I manually entered version numbers for the project properties in the pom.xml file, rebuilt the project, and then it worked. The header is still broken, but I was able to load the legacyui module and get started.