Nominate one more attendee to the Mentor summit 2016!

Hi everyone,

As you all know, mentor summit selections are based on a number of criteria that are sometimes out of our control. I’ve already posted under the mentor forum that @maimoonak and myself would be attending this years, which does not mean that any of the other mentors were better or worse than us.

However, this morning we heard from Google that they would be willing to give us extra cash and a slot for the mentor summit, meaning that we can send one more. So basically, the cards are on the table again. who should go next? my vote is for @teleivo, who does great work, and would have been our next nominee (if not for the funding restrictions, and also considering who has and hasn’t attended before).

What does the community think? happy to hear all suggestions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My vote also is for @teleivo. He has done amazing work not only on the radiology module, but also the platform and other modules!

1 Like

Other contributors to consider are James DeGraft and Maany, I think it’s key to know one’s availability to attend

Apparently James and Maany weren’t mentors so they don’t qualify, I guess that leaves @teleivo as the front runner

Vote for @teleivo

Can I self nominate myself, I actually was burned out from my work and STILL gave my student proper attention. To top it off, I was among the only mentor who did ALL communication on Talk.

@r0bby i actually should have nominated you, but i thought you had been to the mentor summit before. Looks like i was wrong on this!

1 Like

I vote @teleivo

I was to the mentor summit before, years ago. That doesn’t preclude me completely from ever going again…and I also worked hard this year – despite wanting to just not think about OpenMRS…

@r0bby i completely agree with the fact that it does not preclude you from ever going again. It is just that when there are those who have never attended the summit before, it may sometimes put you on the waiting list. Although this does not take away the fact that you have done an amazing work for the OpenMRS community.

I guess what Daniel is saying is that the highest priority goes to those that have never attended it but anyone can still attend if there are enough slots to accommodate them.

2 Likes

@r0bby I don’t think getting nominated to go to the mentor summit is about the mentor who worked the hardest, because everyone in this community works really hard! But more about giving everyone an opportunity to go at least once if they can. I watched you work SO hard this year with students, not just your own. I think you did a fantastic job - reaching out and providing input and guidance to other people’s students when appropriate. You did a great job!

I remember being at the summit with you a few years ago - good memories (sessions, new friendships, and rollercoasters!). Glad we got to experience that together! :smile:

I suppose. I’m on the waitlist but i’m not sure how far down I am…

:slight_smile:

I wouldn’t call that a mentor summit per se – that was WAY different. That was the GSoC 10 year reunion – where students and mentors were invited. I mean it was similar but also allowed students to join in :slight_smile:

1 Like

@surangak when will the decision be made?

Who ever will go will also need some time to arrange travels (flight, visa, …) :slight_smile:

Deadlines: September 20th: Last day to register for GSoC mentor summit & Last day to book hotel at the Aloft Santa Clara (Sheraton Sunnyvale is now sold out)

https://sites.google.com/site/2016gsocmentorsummit/

2 Likes

@r0bby do not worry, your next time is coming soon. By the way, despite having been a mentor for a great number of years, i have never been to the mentor summit. Not that i do not want, but simply because, after looking at all factors, others need to be given a chance before me. Of course this does not mean that am above you on the waiting list, for i would vote you before myself. :smile:

2 Likes

My vote goes to @teleivo.

It looks like there is a general agreement on @teleivo, and that we want him to have the mentor summit experience. This of course doesn’t mean that anyone else is any less important.

Since this has come up, let me try to clarify what the community mgt. team has traditionally done to ensure that all well deserving participants get opportunities to attend various events. Let me share some examples of historical cases:

• Some mentors who participate in both GCI and GSOC have been sponsored to attend the GCI summit (as opposed to the GSOC summit)
  • Other mentors have been sponsored to attend special google events such as the Google Doc Camp
  • Yet others have been funded to attend other open source events (OSCON, ICTD etc.) based on their specific interests.
  • Others have been recommended/nominated for other open source based scholarships at other tech events
  • Mentoring/community service is of course a factor in awarding travel scholarships to the OpenMRS implementers conference.

So while we can’t always ensure that EVERYONE gets to go to the mentor summit, we do our best to cover our bases, and be fair to everyone. Of course, Michael Downey had all this well planned, and made sure that it happened in a very fair way, and we’re doing our best to keep it that way!

2 Likes

Thank you @surangak for all your effort in managing this process! Congrats @teleivo!

Dear all!

I am very honored and sooo happy, reminds me of the christmas time happiness :christmas_tree: :blush:

Thank you soo much!!!

Am looking forward to this exciting weekend and meeting you @maimoonak and @surangak and lots of other like minded people

PS: is there a way we could order stickers in bulk/together to spread them on the GSOC sticker table? I still have a few left I can bring.

I ordered them at https://www.stickermule.com/user/1070627482/stickers

thanks to @michael :slight_smile:
(old thread about it OpenMRS stickers to show support? )

4 Likes

@surangak do you have an answer to my sticker mania request? :wink: